1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice Period

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lilly100, Dec 14, 2015.

1. lilly100

lilly100 New commenter

I know this may seem a silly question but I'm new to supply teaching. How much notice do you have to give if you want to leave the agency that you are with?

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

None. There's no need to give any reason for going somewhere else for work. You can't ask them for a reference as they are just an intermediary. You are casual labour. You just come and go.

3. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

nearmiss is right, there is no notice period per se, but I would caveat that by saying that If you are currently in a long term job with that agency then you can not just up and leave and work directly with that school without the school having to face some difficult questions and the high likelihood of

4. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

(sorry, posted the last one too early)..... financial repurcussions for the school. This can be the case for day to day supply too so if you work through Agency A at St Lillys Primary School a handful of times and then leave Agency A. Then Agency B place you there, there can be financial repurcussions too. This is a lot harder for agencies to enforce but some will try.
    This should not mean you do not leave Agency A, because if they arent up to scratch then tell them why you are leaving and get out of there.
    I would also say that as much as you do not like your agency it is still proffessional to ensure you fulfill any bookings you have agreed to do and maintain your own high levels before leaving.

Just a cautionary addendum