1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice Period

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mysterycat, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mysterycat

mysterycat New commenter

I am in an Indie school and have a notice period of one term. I have very close relative who is seriously ill and need to move closer to help with care. I have a job interview for a part-time job at a college nearby but they want someone to start straight away. This would mean that I would need to leave my present post within my notice period. Has anyone any experience of this situation and the outcome? If offered the post I would dearly love to take it as opportunities for employment in the area are thin on the ground. I live a long way away and have already had to take exceptional leave on a couple of occasions. My line manager is aware of my personal difficulties. Any comments as to how I should handle this>

2. ihatemondays

ihatemondays New commenter

Sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time. My advice really, is to meet with your HT, discuss the situation, make sure they are aware of how thankful you are for their support so far, and with regret how you are going to have to move away. They may be willing to let you leave early due to exceptional circumstances, especially as you have already have some exceptional leave.
    Good luck, and big hugs to you at this difficult time for you.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Any halfway compassionate HT ought to be sympathetic to this: it sounds like they're going to lose you anyway, through no fault of anybody, and allowing you to leave early may enable you to move straight into a suitable post.

4. mysterycat

mysterycat New commenter

Thanks for the suport. Interview is tomorrow so fingers crossed.