1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice period

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ladymarm, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Can anyone advise me how much notice i would have to give my head if i wanted to leave my teaching post. i am not a senior member of staff. is it 1/2 a term or a whole term?

2. Can anyone advise me how much notice i would have to give my head if i wanted to leave my teaching post. i am not a senior member of staff. is it 1/2 a term or a whole term?

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Neither.
    It's two calendar months in the Autumn and spring terms, and 3 calendar months in the summer term. Because of the way terms are defined, that effectively means that resignation dates are:

28 Feb to leave at Easter
    31 May to leave in Summer
    31 Oct to leave at Christmas

http://tesfaq.atspace.com/resignations.htm

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There are set leaving dates - 31st December, 30 April and 31st August. To be released for those dates you need to have submitted your resignation by the 31st October, 28th February or 31st May respectively.

It doesn't matter if those 3 dates fall at a weekend or in the holidays, as long as the resignation is postmarked in time or booked in by admin staff if the letter is handed in.

Always quote the 31st August as the last date of employment when resigning to leave after the summer term. Some teachers have been known to say that they want to finish after school ends on x day in July and the school takes them at their word and withholds part of July's pay and all of August's!

5. I was always under the impression that these were the dates too, but a colleague of mine at school looked into it when she wanted to leave her old school and start at our school. She rang her council and they said that if you are not a deputy head/ head etc. then the notice period is one month, just like any other job. Don't know if this varies for councils?

6. tafkam

As far as I am aware, all LEAs employ their teachers under a contract which includes the Burgundy Book conditions, which sets out the resignation dates.

If your friend is not bound by the Burgundy Book conditions with regards to resignations, then she may well not receive the many benefits of being employed under those conditions, such as enhanced maternity pay, extended sick leave pay, etc.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was on a sickness cover contract once and my notice period was one month. I handed in a resignation letter at the end of term in July and asked for the month of August to be accepted as my notice period.

Permanent teachers on standard contracts are all subject to Burgundy Book conditions.

8. Thanks very much for your replies. I will have to ask her about it on Monday, she definitely did this as she started at our school after her one month notice period. She checked it out with the council (North Yorkshire) and they advised her that all teachers on the main pay scale are only legally bound to give one month's notice, so that is what she did. To be honest I have never heard of the burgandy book conditions so I think that I will ring my council on Monday to check. The reason I need to know is that I am applying for a job outside teaching and the form is a standard council job application form and it asks you to put in a notice period in numerical form- i.e. 4 weeks. I don't know what to put because there is no space to put- depends on time of year etc.!

9. What if a teacher wants to leave at the half term. Does that mean he/she has to give notice at the end of the term to leave next half term or a teacher is only entitled to leave end of the term.

10. tafkam

They're only entitled to leave at the end of the term. Leaving at any other time must be by agreement with the head/governors