1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice period whilst doing maternity cover

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Loz1979, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Loz1979

Loz1979 New commenter

Can anyone advise on the following please? I have a maternity cover contract that was supposed to end March but for various reasons it now looks like it will end a little later. Do I have to follow burgundy book rules for handing in my notice? I like the school but am looking for a permanent position and would not like to miss out because I am tied to this temporary position.
    Thanks.

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

No. You are bound by the notice period in the fixed-term contract. In fact, your FT maternity contract ends in March on the date it would have ended. If you and the school mutually agree an extension, it is effectively a new contract.

3. Loz1979

Loz1979 New commenter

Ok thanks for that.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, that's good news for getting another job for after Easter!

But if the teacher decided to return earlier, you could be given less notice than the normal, if it is written in your contract. And you could give them less notice too.

Just check what it says, so that you know. If a permanent post were due to start after next half term, for example, you would be sble to apply for it if you felt that this was best for you.

Best wishes

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It works both ways. If you don't agree an extension, then you may find that the school looks elsewhere for the last part of the maternity leave. And you might lose the possibility of being paid over the Easter break. Of course, there is a good chance that the person on leave wil return for the holiday anyway.

As has been mentioned before, check your contract. And, I would say, make sure it is clear what the notice arrangements are if you do agree an extension.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It crossed my mind that a sneaky school could have the first contract finishing at the end of term, and then start the next one at the beginning of the next term . . .

Best wishes