1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice period Scotland

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Maisie2017, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Maisie2017

Maisie2017 New commenter

Hi all. I believe the notice period for teachers in Scotland is 4 weeks. Does this include holidays?

Eg If I handed in notice a week before summer would I need to work 3 weeks after Summer hols or would my notice be 'worked' during the hols?

TIA

2. Annemie1584

Annemie1584 New commenter

Hi, did you find the answer to this? I am working on the Scottish side and haven’t got a permanent job and just applied for permanent job after the summer. I am confused...

3. alendra

alendra New commenter

It's recently changed to be defined as four working weeks. So in your example, you would need to work 3 weeks after the summer. That's for unpromoted staff. It's different for promoted, and I can't remember offhand how/if they changed that.

That's not to say that head teachers may not be able to come to some arrangement to let you leave early in order to start somewhere new at the start of the next term. However, in my part of the world (NE Scotland), you'd be very likely to have to work your 4 week notice due to struggling to cover the vacancy.