1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice period - Full Term

Discussion in 'Independent' started by jweb2k, Aug 12, 2020.

1. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Hi all,

Hopefully a simple one - it's August 12th today, and if the contractual requirement for an independent school is one full terms notice, is that a Christmas leaving date... Or locked in until April?!

Thanks!

2. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

We're still in summer term at the moment. As long as you give notice before autumn term begins, you can finish on 31st December.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

In a state school the summer term is usually deemed to end on 31st August so any resignation submitted prior to then would be submitted before the end of term. (State school notice periods are shorter anyway so actually most teachers would have until 31st October to resign and leave at 31st December).

Private schools can write their own contracts of course so not possible to say definitively what your contract says. Likely to be what @asnac says. Get union advice if it's not clear.

4. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Thanks both!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It depends on the wording of your contract.
    Ours has that we have to give notice on the last day of the preceding term, which is taken to mean the 'last day of term' not the holidays, so we are not able to leave until Easter now.

6. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

I assume that's a similar position in most independent schools - I find a potential 8 month lock-in is ridiculous, if so, though!

7. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

Ask your union. Our school wants us to give at least a term's notice, however this was challenged recently and with Union support, found that he only had to give a month's notice. Private schools are not treated the same in law as state schools. It can vary on the type of private school also.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Please don't. All are different.

9. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Thanks, I have checked - for leaving in the Autumn term notice must be given on the last working day of the summer term. I guess that is an 8 month lock in, then - very annoying!

10. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

I'm glad you checked, and apologies for my incorrect take.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, the rule is always "Read your contract".

However . . .

If, as is the case, sadly, for some indy schools, pupil numbers have dropped and they may be thinking of how to save money, they might be willing for you to leave at Christmas.

So:

RULE 1: Read your contract

RULE 2: Ask in writing if it might be possible for you to leave earlier.

You might be lucky, @jweb2k

Best wishes

Twitter: @Theo_Griff