1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Notice Period Dilemma

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by canad1, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hello all, I'm new to the forums but I have a sticky situation and I need some advice.
    I am a Canadian-trained teacher currently working at an Academy. I have not started the OTT course that the DfES requires as I am still in my school's probation period.
    My fiance has just been recruited for a job overseas to start mid-April.
    When I started at my school, I signed an offer that stated that I would be on probation for 6 months and that during that time, either party could terminate employment with 6 weeks notice, I have asked for a copy of this offer (for legitimate tax purposes in Canada) but the business manager has no record of it. The principal's PA left over the summer and some things were misplaced in the meantime. I have not signed my permanent contract yet. Another teacher here seems to think that I would be held to the school's policy of giving a term's notice, even though I have not signed a contract.
    I haven't talked to the head yet, waiting to get his contract signed first, but I would like to know my rights before I do.
    Any thoughts?

2. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

This is one to check with your union, of course. However, the terms of your contract state that you can resign with six weeks notice. In Employment Law, a contract does not have to be written down. Therefore the fact that the written version (were you not given one?) has disappeared does not nullify its effect in law. (Am just doing this module - yay!)
    If you want to resign, just write and say that you are giving 6 weeks notice, as per the terms of your contract. Please ensure you double-check this with your union or CAB, before acting on it! I'm just learning!