1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nothing wrong with the teaching advert?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Mar 9, 2016.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It would if the Unions created a version of this that told the truth.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Nothing wrong with it...except that it is a lie.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Dear God.

5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Inner London as a Lead Practitioner on Point 18

"Figures provided showed that in November 2014 there were 12,845 teachers who earned £65,000 or more; 485 of those were defined as typical classroom teachers."

There seem to be nearly 13000 of them in inner London!
    But only 485 were 'typical classroom teachers. Can 485 out of xxxx thousands be called typical.

And what are the other 12,360 over £65000 doing if they're not (classroom teachers). Management?

It all depends on the definition of 'teacher' the great and good are using.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't believe 485 typical everyday teachers are on over £65000 without seeing some sort of evidence

I also firmly believe adverts like this should have to give the accurate figure so that people are making a judgement on the full information available. In other words 485 out of 438,000 (latest gov figures - for 2011). To give it proper context.

So, just over 0.1% or 1 in 1000 - on their figures...

delnon likes this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

It's 0.01%!

Still reckon it's an outright lie.

delnon likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Check your working

(435 / 438000) * 100 = 0.11%

:cool:

delnon likes this.
  9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

£65 000 is aspirational apparently.
    It is supposed to be achievable as well.
    Who is this person?

training-education-teacher-respectfulness-tombstones-cemetery-teachers-66331398_low.jpg

Thomiam likes this.
  10. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

65k for the partner of the head teacher, the rest of you can whistle for it.
    Keep lying as people are leaving and the young ones have cottoned on that teaching is a muppets game.

delnon and sabrinakat like this.
  11. zannar

zannar New commenter

My mother always said that liars will be found out and eventually dig their own graves. I would like to think this is the case but there always seems to be another trainee ready and waiting to carry on. Why are the British public so gullible? It is like advertising on TV and in magazines. Buy this miracle product with the magical new ingredient, which nobody can pronounce, and you too will become as perfect as the person in the picture. Dream on. Most of us are mere mortals with a hope in hells chance of reaching perfection.

delnon, cissy3 and Scintillant like this.
  12. Scintillant

She's right.

It just takes time these days

13. zannar

zannar New commenter

Far too long to limit the damage inflicted on those who don't deserve it.

delnon and Scintillant like this.
  14. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Scintillant likes this.
  15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Private Eye has shown (ad nauseam) that the ASA have no teeth, no credibility and no integrity - so why are we surprised?

delnon and Middlemarch like this.
  16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

On the bright side, however, people are clearly not believing it, are they? Despite this dangling of an almost-fictional salary in the manner of the Child Catcher dangling a bag of sweeties, the teacher shortage is growing and growing.

delnon, sabrinakat and wanet like this.
  17. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Still plenty of naive people being enticed into the "profession". Have a look at the "Thinking of Teaching" blog on this site.

18. Scintillant

True

I reckon things are extremely bad under the surface of the already bad picture. Even if steps are taken today to remedy matters, there will still be a lag of many years before anything positive is felt in the system.

The recruitment and retention problem is huge. Good teachers have gone, and more are leaving by the day. The replacements aren't staying and a growing number don't seem to have the good subject knowledge required. That will have knock on effects for the development of the next generation of teachers too, Unqualified staff are now a part of the teaching furniture despite government pronouncements. Workload is just making things worse. Cheating has blighted the profession in recent years. Add in the nonsense like triple marking, misuse of performance-related pay, observations and capability, the dramatically falling age of heads and you quickly realise that the wisdom and experience necessary to run a school - or even teach in one - are going out of the window rapidly and those who do the minister's bidding are rapidly climbing the ladders

Ofsted are beyond redemption - every day sees them having to slay the monster of their own creating with the issuance of yet another "but we don't want to see that". I hear Wilshaw was today slamming multi-academy trusts too over inflated pay for those at the top, and over underperformance of pupils. He's now at loggerheads with the Government over some MATs. What happens to these MATs when things aren't right? Are they going to be removed? Highly doubtful. A bit of tinkering around the edges, a re-inspection and trebles all round. Standards haven't risen according to the evidence, despite so many different initiatives, exam board changes and improving results (results are not standards!). Academisation has allowed teachers' working conditions to worsen, and there are all sorts of insinuations about the relationship between government and those running some academy trusts etc.

To top it all off, the actual daily activity of teaching and its improvement seems almost irrelevant now. Insets and staff meetings are looking for the next quick fix or ways to make the data look better. An actual discussion over what we know works in a classroom and how it might help us to teach better is the bottom of the meeting agenda these days. I survived mainstream through confidence, good subject knowledge and having some principles. Still, six years ago I could see what was coming and I am so happy that I got out of mainstream and moved to a very progressive and forward looking alternative provision setting. I love my job. I know I am lucky

Dark days ahead for many though. And they won't be on 65K to sweeten it

19. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Have seen some change their minds, but others don't want to believe what is happening. The best qualified statement amuses me when there are maths dept.s without a single maths degree in there.

20. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

:mad::mad::mad::mad:The reality is you start on 22k ( maybe it's a bit more now) and they will find fault every year so you take years and years and years to get to 30k if ever! I'm seeing it now; young enthusiasts being told no try again next year! 65k; what a crock of the proverbial!

phlogiston, Compassman and delnon like this.