1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nothing to do with Porton Down. Hopefully.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 5, 2018.

1. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I don't really understand why you would want to kill using a method that can be traced back to a few sources - not many people can, or would want to, knock up a nerve agent in their kitchen. Why not use a more conventional method of murder. (although could be done in most universities, I guess).

Is it to send a message (but to who?) or to pass the buck to the Russians? Doubt that we will ever know.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think so.

We don't matter. The 'important people' will know.

les25paul likes this.
  3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I'm pleased to hear that Det Sgt Bailey, the Policeman who went to the aid of the victims. is now stable and conscious. I hope he makes a full recovery.

4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I was quoting the "expert" who the BBC got to comment.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I see the Chief Medical Officer for England has said that there is nothing to worry about, but that up to 500 people who were in the Mill pub or Zizzi Restaurant in Salisbury last Sunday afternoon need to wash their clothes, double bag and put aside any clothes that need dry cleaning, and clean their handbags, mobile phones and other electronic items with baby wipes, which should be bagged in plastic before being binned. :eek::eek::eek:

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Comforting to know that biological agents can be dealt with using baby wipes.

florian gassmann and TCSC47 like this.
  7. florian gassmann

Somebody should tell the Salisbury District Hospital to try baby wipes on the Skripals. :oops:

sparkleghirl likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So all normal then...

Looks like one member of the UN security council iniatated a chemical weapons attack on the sovereign territory of another...

Nothing weird there.

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just to share one of my security experiences. My apprenticeship was with the Ministry of Aviation at a reasonably top secret research place. We had a talk from our security officer who told us what the Russians or Chinese were likely to do. If we were in a pub we would approached by a young lady (Fine we thought). She would ply us with drink (getting better). She would take us back to her room (Getting even better) and into bed (Wow!!) and then when we were asleep she would get out of the bed and put a young boy in it and take pictures ---- Arrrggg-gg!!!!

One of the most memorable lectures I ever had. The security officer knew exactly how to set us up, reel us in, and then deliver the killer blow!! Though thankfully not a example I felt necessary to use in my teaching later in life!

Nanook_rubs_it, lanokia and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think you are confusing biological agents (such as anthrax) with nerve agents (such as Sarin, VX and Novichok) which are chemical rather than biological.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

During my military training I did regular chemical decontamination drills. We used an absorbent (fuller's earth I think) to soak up any liquid chemical agent (which we pretended was there ;)). We also used baby wipes but they were used to remove camouflage cream. Although being "rufty tufty" types no one will admit it of course :D.

TCSC47 likes this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

To send a message.

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No goat?

14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

No goat.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No goat?

No wonder we've gone to the dogs.

TCSC47 and kibosh like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It was business not pleasure.

les25paul, lanokia and TCSC47 like this.
  17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

No goat.

18. florian gassmann

Delighted to see that he has just been discharged from hospital:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43506232

border_walker and les25paul like this.
  19. Brunel

Brunel Senior commenter

Indeed. The outlook doesn't appear to be good for the Skripals however.

border_walker likes this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I do not know what to make of Miss Skripal's amazing recovery, given how we've all been briefed by the government & the media on the materials used in this alleged attack:

kibosh and sparkleghirl like this.