1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nothing to do with Porton Down. Hopefully.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 5, 2018.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Reference to Porton Down, --- at University we had a trip to the biological research section. They assured us that they do no biological military work. One room we visited about the size of a small classroom, had hundreds (thousands?) of little brown packets on shelves and completely covering all four walls. These, we were informed, were packets of freeze dried human faeces for use in a long term research project into bowel cancer. When the participants died, their excrement from many years earlier would be examined to establish their diet and the state of their bowels. Another room was almost empty except for a table all by itself in the middle upon which was a glowing green bioreactor bubbling away. This we were told was a growing culture of gonorrhoea !! The reason for the wide space around the bioreactor was so that there could be safe movement in the room without the risk of knocking the bioreactor over.

The building, built in WW2 was fascinating with corridors 4 meters or more wide. The original purpose of the building was to develop biological warfare and counter measures. The wide corridors were to allow safe movement of trolleys, with nasty substance carried on them, to pass each other with little chance of them bumping into each other. All corners and skirting were curved to facilitate easy washing of the corridors in case of a spill.

Of course, now that we have mentioned Porton Down, this string will be picked up by GCHQ!

les25paul likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Seems like he was poisoned with a nerve agent. So it would seem that whoever wanted to bump him off not only wanted him dead but wanted the whole world to know that this was state sponsored assassination.

kibosh likes this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Have there been any suggestions as to how it was administered? Was it in the restaurant? (I think original reports said a shopping centre but I think I later saw a restaurant on tv?)

4. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

It seems the first police officer to attend the scene is also critically ill. Awful

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The latest reports say that it is thought they were "exposed to the substance as they sat on a bench outside a shopping centre". If it was the VX nerve agent then it is worth remembering that it was sprayed in the face of Kim Jong-nam (Kim Jong-un's half brother) to murder him last year. Use of a spray may explain the need for decontamination in Salisbury, but nothing is known for sure yet.

6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

In the circumstances, thank goodness we have Porton Down.

nomad, TCSC47 and les25paul like this.
  7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So, it has been confirmed a nerve agent was used.
    *I'll go to the bottom of my stairs*
    And the Russians are still denying any involvement.
    *I'll go back to the bottom of my stairs*

Alice K likes this.
  8. sparkleghirl

Was just browing for more on this.
    Seems that apart from this and the Litvinenko case there have been around a dozen other cases, in the UK which neither govt nor media have made much fuss about. The govt is accused of being soft on the russians. Meanwhile the Russians, wanting more of a fuss to be made (as a threat to other 'traitors') deliberately made this one newsworthy so that it couldn't be quietly brushed under the carpet.

Officially. But they want people to know, I think.

TCSC47 and BelleDuJour like this.
  9. BelleDuJour

Seems there are a goodly number of such acts of 'murder' in this country....going back many years.
    They do seem to be largely brushed under the carpet, with the exception of the poisoned umbrella case and Litvinenko and polonium poisoning.

kibosh and TCSC47 like this.
  10. Dragonlady30

There is plenty of space at the bottom of my stairs. We could invite others and have little party!! :)

BelleDuJour likes this.
  11. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

So Boris has said that there will be repercusions if Russia is found guilty. So I wondered what this might be and why Russia would care?
    Then it is announced that we will boycott the World Cup. That doesnt seem fair on the players? But I suppose it saves us the usual embarrassment....

12. Dragonlady30

I don't think it affects the player-they will still go and play. It's the 'officials' and freeloaders who will boycott.

13. sparkleghirl

Ha! I bet they won't. Unless they're scared of nerve agents.

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I expect blind eyes are turned regularly...

My old man used to play golf with the head of MI6 you know.

True story

BelleDuJour likes this.
  15. sparkleghirl

Channel4 is advertising an exclusive:

EXCLUSIVE - our source describes why he found Skripal’s meetings « dangerous » and decided to avoid him

I don't know who the source is but C4 news will be starting any minute now.

16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The nerve agent was applied to Kim Jon-nam on two separate cloths which were wiped in his face. The separate chemicals only reacted into the nerve agent when on his face. Hence needing two women, and hence being able to be transported around without harm and detection.

Such is the nature of some Humans that they can think up such diabolical plots and mechanisms. It is an dreadful indictment of us.

kibosh and BelleDuJour like this.
  17. BelleDuJour

The authorities will not release the name of the nerve agent, as they know where the agent was manufactured.
    Scary stuff.

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Most media claim it was a spray, but I have seen others that claim it was a cloth (two would make more sense than one).

Kim Jong-un's half-brother Kim Jong-nam killed after being 'sprayed in face with unknown liquid', possibly by pair of female spies

Kim Jong-nam poisoned with chemical spray: reports

The BBC may have hit the truth when they said:
    ... a small quantity of VX - just a drop - was likely to have been put on cloths used by the attackers to touch his face. A separate spray may have been used as a diversion.

19. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Now the UK is being openly mocked:

Russian spy: State TV anchor warns 'traitors'

The comment by Kirill Kleimenov - the presenter on government-controlled Channel One's flagship Vremya news programme - sounded like a veiled, mocking threat to anyone considering becoming a double agent for Britain.

"I don't wish death on anyone, but for purely educational purposes, I have a warning for anyone who dreams of such a career," he said.

"The profession of a traitor is one of the most dangerous in the world," Kleimenov said, adding that few who had chosen it had lived to a ripe old age.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43330498

The UK's government response to this event will say much about its post Brexit position in the world. I predict the squeak of a mouse from this lot.

20. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

BrE//ˈætrɪbjuːtrɪd// _ //əˈtrɪbjuːtɪd//

on the radio (I hear) Home Secretary is saying the the former (to be precise?)