1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nothing to do with Porton Down. Hopefully.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

Hospital shuts A&E department after ‘major incident’ with number of casualties

'A hospital has closed its A&E department after what it has called a ‘major incident’. Salisbury District Hospital in Wiltshire called in an ‘incident response team’ to decontaminate the area surrounding the emergency department and said there were a ‘small number of casualties’.

[...]

Hospital authorities have yet to release any details of the ‘major incident’ but said police and the fire service are at the scene.

[...]

‘Scientists from PHE’s Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards, will continue to assist the response and review information as it becomes available.’'
    Metro.co.uk, 5th March 2018.

Let's hope that everyone affected recovers.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

They seem to think it involves exposure to fentanyl, the drug that killed Prince and that has started to be peddled in America in recent months.

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Good grief. Finding this one hard to take in.
    Do people who have overdosed on this put others at risk then?

4. Vince_Ulam

Anywhere else this reaction might have seemed excessive.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

It can have rapid onset side effects which look like illness. If bystanders & locales were decontaminated before fentanyl was suspected then it was probably for this reason.

6. florian gassmann

Those affected in this incident are apparently vomiting fentanyl (which is 50 times stronger than heroin) so a major decontamination exercise is needed.

7. sparkleghirl

Aha! Thank you.

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Good grief!

9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Latest report is no wider risk to public and Public Health England are investigating. News Conference at 6.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

11. Vince_Ulam

A former Russian spy is one of the victims, according to the BBC.

Russian security services have employed fentanyl-based compounds before now:

Moscow hostage crisis chemical agent
    en.Wikipedia.org, accessed 5th March 2018.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

Is this going to be another poisoned-tip umbrella incident? :eek:

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Putin strikes again! Vlad is back!

The Beast from the East returns!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Old uncle Bulgaria style?

16. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

A Russian spy and his girlfriend, both critically ill. He was found guilty of treason by the Russian government, but was part of an exchange to Britain also involving American agents.

17. sparkleghirl

I just saw this Russian link now. :eek:

And now I understand a bit better the panic at the hospital.

Actually that's not true, I saw last night that a 'russian spy' had been taken ill in the UK but didn't connect i with this incident.

18. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Early speculation about the identity of his female companion have now been corrected - she is his daughter. There are around ten people affected by this attack, with suspicion growing that it's another assassination attempt by Putin, similar to the murder of Alexander litvinenko a few years ago.

19. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

What with this and the certain assurance of thuggery from Russian ultra football supporters and doped players - why are we sending a team to support the Russian World Cup this year? It will be as big a farce as the winter Olympics in Sochi.

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

He was also (or so its claimed ) a British spy because he was spying for us. Hence the reason the Russians were more then a little annoyed by his actions since in their eyes he is a traitor to his country of birth just as Philby. Blunt et al are traitors to the UK.

That not to say or justify the Russians have anything to do with this of course but I cannot claim that I have much sympathy for a traitor no matter what country they come from. I do however feel for his family who were/are innocent victims in this.

I hear that the British counter terrorist Police have taken over the investigation. Well good luck with that but I suspect that the KGB are more proficient at covering their tracks then the likes of Jihadi John.