1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Note to self...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Nov 9, 2019 at 3:43 PM.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

...don't need any more dishwasher tablets - 7 boxes found:(

---don't need any more Flash bleach spray - 4 bottles found:(

---don't need any more Vanilla extract - 4 bottles found:(

---don't need any more black peppercorns - 5 jars found:(

Could be more as I've only just started!

install, bonxie, guinnesspuss and 8 others like this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh I know the feeling. Following the kitchen water pipe leak last Sunday when my cabinets had to be emptied I had 4 new mop heads, more dish cloths than a hardware shop, tea towels I hadn't seen for years , rolls and rolls of swing bin liners, and flagons of Febreeze....

I ought to have the cleanest house in the NW......

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You’ve been on automatic pilot. You’ve been busy with career and care. You haven’t had time to think about vanilla extract. (Can’t remember the last time I bought any.)

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Your house only becomes clean if you use them!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I found pkts and pkts of casserole mixes on the top shelf. I really need to sort out all those packets lol

Lara mfl 05, agathamorse and Marshall like this.
  6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We had a sort out of a couple of cupboards last weekend, as it was becoming impossible to fit in anything else. The recycling bin had ten glass jars that had contained various chutneys that had been part of Christmas gifts. All were out of date

There’s space in the cupboards now though.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have about 100 rolls of toilet paper in the store cupboard

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Well done for being brave enough to check. I tend to discover stockpiles by accident. I have enjoyed working my way through a recent excess of custard :)

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I do often buy more than one bottle of cleaning stuff at a time, sometimes, for example, if it's buy one, get one half price. And shampoo or shower gel; I stock up on that. But I don't think I've had four bottles of vanilla extract, although I did have two replacement jars of paprika, which took a while to get through. :oops:
    It's just the SPACE such things take up which annoys me.

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Toilet rolls I can understand but I can't remember the last time I used vanilla extract (bought it for step daughters baking).

11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

colpee, Marshall and agathamorse like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

You know those websites where you can donate your unwanted bras to girls overseas who have no access to them? If only there were a similar freecycle thing for all the shampoo/conditioner combos I have. "Thickens hair" is a promise clearly not applicable to my own wispy fronds. I've bought every "fuller hair" brand under the sun for decades, used them for a few weeks, collapsed in a disappointed heap and put them in the loft. I must have getting on for 70 partly-used bottles. I think I kept them in case disaster befell and I couldn't afford to buy shampoo anymore ("Always look on the bright side of life" - singalong!) and it seems sinfully wasteful to just throw them out, but....

Edit: food banks don't want them! Yehiknow you can't eat them.

Marshall and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Who's having a clear out then :)

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I wonder, @Aquamarina1234 if there might be a homeless shelter near you who could use them? Opened bottles are not really acceptable for prizes, or such like, but might be OK for a shelter? There are various charities which collect toiletries but I think probably unopened ones only.

15. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

One way to prevent stockpiling is to move house frequently - I should know, having moved six times in the last fourteen years! Also, downsizing (my current abode) often means less space to store too much of one item. Having said that, I do have 32 toilet rolls (special offer at Tesco a couple of weeks ago - £3.75 for 16.)

16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Not shark infested I hope!

(This gag is extremely old so I'll explain it. Q: What's yellow and highly dangerous? A: Shark infested custard. OK it's naff but when I was at school (50 years ago) this was edgy, cutting-edge humour)

primarycat and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

At least toilet paper is something you use regularly so you're bound to get through it unlike certain things Mrs Shedman takes a fancy to that never get used/eaten and are thrown away a few years later.

Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  18. ajrowing

ajrowing Occasional commenter

Sounds like you are ready for Brexit!

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

For don't reason we've built up a huge amount of dried things like pasta and lentils. I'm trying to reduce the stockpile a bit but even if we ate lentils every day a bag would still take a long time to get through! I sort out my cupboards about once a year, with a resolution to use up things that are lingering, but of course they're lingering because I don't really want to eat them! Marshall, I could get through your vanilla essence in a very short time. You're obviously not eating enough cakes and puddings!

towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I remember a friend saying she had 6 boxes of washing powder and no salt! :eek:

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.