1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

notarised degree cert

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by musikteech, Mar 26, 2016.

  1. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    I got my degree certificate notarised the other day at a notary public in case I apply for a job in Korea, and you need a notarised and apostilled degree to get a visa there. Interestingly, I was searching for the best price in my area which is the Midlands and the first solicitor said he could sign it but not verify it as real or something for £80 but if I wanted him to certify it as real, he would have to phone up the university registrar and then it would be £100. I thought to myself, I ent paying that so I looked for another notary public and I found one who said £30. He has two offices, one in Birmingham and another in Coventry and he goes to Coventry in the evenings. So I went in the evening with my original certificate and he signed it as a true copy of the original, put his seal on it and stamped it with his address. No phoning up the registrar or anything like that. Luckily mine is a true original degree cert, but I just wonder the authenticity of the degrees this cheaper solicitor signs.
  2. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    And you're telling us why?
  3. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    I just wanted to share this because you have to attest your degree certificates for quite a few countries nowadays. There may be others who have had similar experiences. £100 is a rip off, it only takes a minute to notarise a certificate.
  4. Helen-Back

    Helen-Back Occasional commenter

  5. lovely.lady

    lovely.lady Occasional commenter

    Yes it is a rip-off BUT the notary fees from a solicitor are not the end point because for UAE and possibly other ME countries and now also for China, you have to have the certificates attested by the FCO and the respective embassy which also costs. If you employ the services of a proper organisation they handle all of that on your behalf. In the end it works out much cheaper than doing it yourself.
    stopwatch likes this.
  6. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    For Saudi Arabia, you have to get your university registrar to email in to the embassy confirming your degree. I don't know if other ME countries are the same or if they just need an FCO apostille. I paid £90 just to get my PGCE attested with the saudis through a visa agent. I can use it for any Saudi employer now. I don't know if it works out cheaper than doing it yourself. An FCO apostille costs £30 per document and this visa agent charges £70,
    stopwatch likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    I had mine done properly, as others have suggested, and they have been used in 4 countries over 3 continents. If they are done correctly then you only ever have to do it once. Im suprised you didnt find that notary advertising next to that job advert on Craiglist !!!!!
    rouxx and IAMBOG like this.
  8. tollolo

    tollolo New commenter

    Agreed: you really don't want to find that your cheaper route comes unstuck when you're working to deadlines. Having a solicitor sign in a house isn't the same as the required FCO route (which they might have done). Still, if it saves you forty quid on a process costing thousands, it is worth.
  9. stopwatch

    stopwatch Lead commenter

    I am surprised that you got them notarised IN CASE you get a job. Some (many?) schools organise visas for you via agencies who get all of the work done for you - and the school should pay.

    As others have said, the initial solicitor notarisation is only one part and often FCO and the county's embassy also have to attest the documentation.

    I would wait until you get a job and then ask the school how they do things. Could save a few quid!
  10. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    I got it notarised IN CASE I get a job in Korea, because you have to get your own documents ready before they will put you forward or consider you for the position. You also have to get your CRC notarised and apostilled. I got mine done free by sending it back to Disclosure Scotland and they notarised it for free. Both documents will now have to be notarised by the FCO (don't need to attest it at the Korean embassy as well). Then, when I've done this to both documents, i can be considered for the EFL jobs in Korea. The CRC will last 6 months i think before you need to get a new one

Share This Page