1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not what it said on the tin.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Oct 19, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Had an interview that really annoyed me today. First of all when I arrived and presented myself, they had no idea about the interview. Then they asked who I was seeing, I said the head teacher, they asked me his nameo_O.

Then the interview consisted of 4 tasks not the two they had said. They put a 100 page document on the table and wanted me to select specific principles from it and discuss them. Then they brought in the most unruly children for me to teach in a room with so many distractions it was like a comedy show. The people observing me kept swapping places and where on their phones. Then they wanted me to work with a student and assess her needs and give them strategies to deal with said student. OMG! I actually decided that I was not going to do any such thing and just wrote the strategies that the TA told me that he used.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Hope you withdrew.

Laphroig and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If someone observing me had used their phone in class, I'd have confiscated it.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

:p

Sundaytrekker and Dragonlady30 like this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Was it a college?

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I might have been tempted to walk out and tell them to organise themselves......that is gross inefficiency.
    I might also have been tempted to tell them where to stick i! :)

smoothnewt, kibosh and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

I would have calmly walked out :cool:

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. delmamerchant

I did not. I kept thinking that it you never know where life leads you so it was just best to breath through the experience. When they asked if I was still interested in taking the job now that I had seen the school, I crossed my fingers and said yes. I just kept thinking that if I walked out then it would look really bad on me and might come back to haunt me,

george1963 likes this.
  9. delmamerchant

You are brave. I kept wondering if he was trying to record my lesson secretly. Very strange behaviour. I made sure that I picked up all of my resources. I started to wonder if they were holding the interviews just to pick our brains.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. delmamerchant

No a primary school.

11. delmamerchant

It was very hard not to. It did enable me to understand why the school were in their last OFSTED a couple of years ago put on RI.

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. delmamerchant

I so wish I could have done that. But I had a vision of them contacting my school and conveying what I had done and then the head teacher having me on for bringing the school into disrepute.:(

Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  13. delmamerchant

Myself and the other candidates all left together and we all looked shell shocked.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

On an interview you represent yourself - not your school. I hope your school would have praised you.

Either way - sounds like a lucky escape:cool:

needabreak likes this.
  15. delmamerchant

You are right! When they asked me to write a repost on a child I wanted to write a report on the interview.:)

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:eek:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sounds like a place to avoid in the future.

needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. delmamerchant

I know shocking!:eek:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.