1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not Using Literacy Framework?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cocopop77, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Does anyone not follow the Literacy Framework?
    If not, what do you use instead?
    I'm looking for ways to inspire my children's writing.

2. Does anyone not follow the Literacy Framework?
    If not, what do you use instead?
    I'm looking for ways to inspire my children's writing.

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Is there anyone who IS still using it?

4. So what do you use?

5. Y2 here. I attempt a fairly even spread of fiction, non fiction and poetry over the year. I use topic planning to decide what to do, e.g. I recently did a topic on the Victorians and we all contributed to a non fiction book, each group writing a chapter on a different aspect. I level their most recent decent amount of writing and use I can statements to decide what the children need to work on next. Any help?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Some schools have never used it we just follow the National Curriculum

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I use the NC level statements for S&L and writing in literacy lessons, occasionally reading though this is more often covered in GR sessions. These form the LO for the lesson and the context is decided by the topic being studied. I too aim for a decent spread of fiction and non-fiction in each topic, but certainly over the year.

8. Thank you for the replies.
    So you choose topics and decide upon writing outcomes from them? I'm the literacy leader in our school and am wanting to move away from the literacy framework. Not sure how well some of our staff will take to this, but standards in writing are not good in our school and I believe it is because we are sticking too rigidly to teaching the framework units rather than inspiring children to become independent writers.
    I want to try initially with my own class (Year 5). Any suggestions as to how to get started?

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What history or geography topic are you due to study next term? Start from there and decide what S&L and writing children could cover within that (and what you haven't done so far this year). Then plan the half term in outline so you know where you are going.

This tends to free up a bit of time in the timetable, because you don't need stand alone history/geography lessons because the subject knowledge and skills are taught in literacy. I'm in year 2 and we also link our art and DT to the topic, sometimes maths as well.

10. Our topic is linked to the Olympics. Any chance of seeing an example of your planning and how the literacy fits in?

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm going to do a mini topic on the Olympics with my class and will use Greek myths for my literacy

12. Sadly, yes. We have to use it in my school, but I do try and make strong links to our topic wherever I can. It's so stifling and uninspiring otherwise (well, it's still stifling and uninspiring, but making it a little more topic based helps slightly!)
    If I had my way, I'd teach literacy from a text: choose a fantastic story and then link all the different genres to that.

13. Which is exactly what we are doing! I love it and have had loads of comments from parents about how their (boys imparticular) are reading more.
    Teaching is so much fun this way and you can work your way through the genres using the events from each book. Much easier for the kids to focus on writing as they have all the detailsfrom the story in their heads, and don't spend ages stuck trying to imagine or conjure up stuff to write about.
    Hope we don't get told to change any time soon...
    PM