1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure which to accept!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by AWildRabbit, Mar 11, 2020.

1. AWildRabbit

AWildRabbit New commenter

Hi everyone,

I've been accepted on to 3 courses for School Direct Teacher Training in September. However, I'm very torn between secondary Art & Design or Primary. I was wondering if anyone could give me their own experiences of either of these as a career and perhaps give me some insight into the job prospects? I live in an area with an abundance of primary schools, and considerably fewer secondary schools.

If there's anything that might help me to make a decision I'd love to hear it!

Thanks so much in advance.

2. helen219

helen219 New commenter

I think it would depend on which age children you prefer working with and whether you're happy to teach the full range of subjects in primary school.

PGCE_tutor likes this.
  3. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Which are you more interested in, sharing your passion for Art and Design or helping young children understand the world?

Tararose212 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

In terms of employment, you're more likely to get a job in Primary than secondary Art and Design. Just look through the job ad's and see for yourself.

If you do Primary you will do lots of Art and Design, both class and whole school ideas.

MathMan1 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Don't bank on it!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. phatsals

What kind of a comment is that?

7. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

In many many primary schools children experience very little art and design.

https://www.tes.com/news/dramatic-decline-quantity-and-quality-arts-primaries

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher...-education-primary-school-creative-industries

https://www.artsprofessional.co.uk/news/primary-schools-lament-decline-arts-provision

etc etc etc

I visit many primary schools for my work and also have been monitoring which subjects our students are able to teach. We 'expect' them to have taught at least a couple of lessons of every subject by the end of the year but many are not able to because it's not happening - art and design, music, DT, languages... little sign of any increase so far despite OfSTEd's new focus.

Of course, there are great schools which really value art and give it the profile it deserves. And with an art background you'd be well-placed to be successful at interview. Just saying that primary = lots of art is not true.

Incidentally, when I was training to be a teacher (pre-National Curriculum) our course was based around FOUR core subject - English, maths, science and art. Those were the days (in some ways)!

8. phatsals

I disagree with you entirely.

Incidentally, I've been a teacher for over 30 years. Please don't patronise me, your brief visits to schools and your trainee teacher experiences are not indicative of whole schools. The subjects are still taught, as they have always been.

It is also true that Secondary Art and Design jobs are very thin on the ground.

andthentherewerenone likes this.
  9. phatsals

Instead of weekly Art or D&T they are more frequently taught altogether for a few days, it makes it easier for setting up etc. Student teacher may very well miss out on all of that and there would be complaints if trainees taught only one subject for days on end.

10. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Ive experienced very little Art across 2 block placements in Primary.

I would go and volunteer in a primary and secondary art dept for a week in each. No one can advise you, it has to be right for you. No one will make the decision for you!

Tararose212 and PGCE_tutor like this.