1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by RinaRoo93, Jun 6, 2019.

1. RinaRoo93

RinaRoo93 New commenter

Hi there, I moved over 200 miles for my first teaching job away from my family and friends (I live alone) and Im just about to complete my first year of teaching, my school doesn't class me as an 'NQT' due to my teaching qualification so I've not received any real support during the time I've been working (I thought NQT always meant that it was your first year of teaching).

My observation in Nov went well and was well received, however now with only a few weeks left in the year Im being told that the work I've done has not been up to scratch and results lower than they want. I spoke with the NQT leader and they have provided me with some tips and assured me that its just because its my first year and they don't expect me to have it all together but I can't shake the feeling of not wanting to be there anymore. I'll admit I've not been on the ball in making things 'fun' for the students as I've purely been focusing on making sure that the content is correct and all the other elements that go with teaching (marking, prepping materials, admin etc) and there have been some behavioural issues. I've spent every night, weekend and holiday working on new materials or thinking of new things to do (sometimes even just recapping the subject content myself If I haven't covered it since my degree) so don't feel like I haven't pulled my weight or tried and given that we've just came back from a weeks holiday I am exhausted and incredibly down about the whole situation and don't know if I want to continue teaching. I feel like regardless of the effort that I have put in this year that it's all been for nothing. I don't feel excited about going to work and teaching anymore, I actively dread it and its effecting my mental health and my physical health (I don't eat or drink properly and whilst I can afford to lose some weight its becoming a serious concern) . I have wanted to teach for over a decade (I'm in my 20's) and now that I am finally here it all feels wrong. I want to leave but I don't know what to do instead and whilst I do have age on my side I, like all of you, have bills to pay so need something that I can go into right away really. I also have NO clue in regards to resignation procedures or how much notice is required when leaving teaching.

I don't want to jump ship on the back of a 'bad week' so feel I should give it until the summer but then will my resignation cut off on the last day of the summer term If I chose to leave, leaving me with no pay over the summer to even try to get another job? Can I even leave now at the end of the summer term? If I stay and give it more time at what point can I leave then if things don't improve? Even the thought of having to continue for a few weeks makes me feel sick and I dread going in each day now. I feel completely and utterly destroyed by this and a failure.

Any help and advice either on what to do or where I can go for help would be greatly appreciated, I'm so incredibly upset that this has happened as its all I've wanted to do since I was in college.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Read your contract - but resignation dates are generally as in the link: https://www.tes.com/jobs/careers-ad...s/teacher-resignation-dates-and-notice-period

It's too late to resign for the end of summer term, but you could always try to negotiate an early release. The school's willingness would depend on your subject, and the availability of teachers in your area.

If you're feeling sick with dread then see your GP. They can offer support and advice on your health and wellbeing.

Your current school is probably not suited to you - you say you've been given no support, and obviously you need it, as all new teachers do. Technically if it's your first year teaching then you are an NQT, but the 'NQT year' refers to the statutory induction year that teachers in maintained schools must undertake - they have to show by the end of the year that they're meeting the teacher standards. You say you don't need to do induction - what qualification do you have? Is it from outside the UK?

I would suggest trying a different school before leaving teaching entirely. Or trying overseas (as in mainland Europe or further).