1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure what to do next - missed GTP deadline and didn't get teaching job

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by rocketqueenbear, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I'm after some advice. I recently got down to the last 2, from 50+ applicants for a Graphic Design teacher job at a local independant school. I really really want to get in to teaching, but applying for that job was the first thing I have done about it, and I have just found out I was unsuccessful. I have had amazing feedback, no negatives at all only the other candidate had one particular design skill I did not. (grrr!)

So I now feel a bit deflated and stuck. I want to teach graphic design (or design and technology as it is called in most schools I think) at secondary/sixth form level. I have missed out on applying for the local GTP/SCITT programs, so now I do not know what to do next.

I work full time at the moment, so its not like I am needing a job but I really don't want to be doing this job for much longer so would really like to see what else (if anything) is out there to help me get more into teaching.

If anyone has any advice, stories or knowledge to share I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,

Laura

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Keep applying for jobs in schools, FE colleges etc? Doesn't have to be your end-goal job...
    Bad time for it though, really.