1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure what to do- advice please!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nans, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Ok, I am in a complicated situation and need sone advice, please. (apologies in advance for the lack of paragraphs, as I am typing on my phone).

In sept I started a new job as second in dept. Unfortunately tge behaviour is very poor and smt very weak, but I was planning to stick it out until July. However, since christmas my mum has become seriously ill and is in a psychiatric unit. My dad is 72, coping on his own, visiting mum every day but is very tired and looks visibly iller and older himself. I am visiting every weekend, cooking, cleaning etc. What with the stress at work and the horrendous worry about mum and dad, I am finding it difficult to cope at the moment. (I am an only child, mum and dad live two and a half hours away.)

A job has come up as 'director of learning' for my subject in a totally new school. School is opening in sept but job starts in may, planning etc. This school is within commuting distance of my psrents' house, and it's also appealing because there would be less stress associated with the planning term than there would be with staying at my current school and teaching. However, I am worried about leaving at Easter- would it look bad? Also, is director of learning too big a jump from my current post- it is paid on the leadership scale and I am only on tlr 2b. And finally, do you think my plan to move back to my parents' house is feasible?

Thanks and sorry for the long post. Nans

2. Ok, I am in a complicated situation and need sone advice, please. (apologies in advance for the lack of paragraphs, as I am typing on my phone).

In sept I started a new job as second in dept. Unfortunately tge behaviour is very poor and smt very weak, but I was planning to stick it out until July. However, since christmas my mum has become seriously ill and is in a psychiatric unit. My dad is 72, coping on his own, visiting mum every day but is very tired and looks visibly iller and older himself. I am visiting every weekend, cooking, cleaning etc. What with the stress at work and the horrendous worry about mum and dad, I am finding it difficult to cope at the moment. (I am an only child, mum and dad live two and a half hours away.)

A job has come up as 'director of learning' for my subject in a totally new school. School is opening in sept but job starts in may, planning etc. This school is within commuting distance of my psrents' house, and it's also appealing because there would be less stress associated with the planning term than there would be with staying at my current school and teaching. However, I am worried about leaving at Easter- would it look bad? Also, is director of learning too big a jump from my current post- it is paid on the leadership scale and I am only on tlr 2b. And finally, do you think my plan to move back to my parents' house is feasible?

Thanks and sorry for the long post. Nans

3. If an opportunity arises neared to family, even one that starts in April, and reasonable person would understand.

4. I think it sounds like a really great opportunity for you and I hope you get it [​IMG]. No school would begrudge you moving closer to home for both a promotion and family reasons.

5. Go for it and good luck! No one can blame you.
    Des

6. ...look after number 1...YOU...!!!
    ...family always and always will come first and if a post that proves logistically more convenient comes your way...go for it..the school I am sure would understand your predicament and by informing them of your intentions you would be doing yourself a huge favour indeed...speak to the HT ot your line manager