1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure if supply teacher used offensive words as never heard this word before - ADVICE NEEDED

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Spice0012, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi everyone we had a supply Teacher in today and in a jokely humour manner she called the nursery TA a G O N K as she thought it was thursday and was getting the children ready for PE. Is that word offensive as I have never heard it before?
    Both myself and the reception TA looked shocked she commented she'd used that word in interviews to describe herself as it meant dippy?
    Just wondering because not sure if it is appropriate language around children or infront of headteacher in an interview?
    Would any headteacher employ someone using such words in interview?

2. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi everyone we had a supply Teacher in today and in a jokely humour manner she called the nursery TA a G O N K as she thought it was thursday and was getting the children ready for PE. Is that word offensive as I have never heard it before?
    Both myself and the reception TA looked shocked she commented she'd used that word in interviews to describe herself as it meant dippy?
    Just wondering because not sure if it is appropriate language around children or infront of headteacher in an interview?
    Would any headteacher employ someone using such words in interview?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

A gonk is a cuddly toy v popular when I was young. If I were not so idle, I'd google for a picture of one for you.

4. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Not offensive then, well I've learnt a new word today! I just wouldn't use that word in an interview would you employ someone who did?

5. I believe it to be a double plus good word. But you should probably run it past the Ministry Of Truth to be on the safe side.

6. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I would consider it to be a harmless word - I remember having gonks when I was little. My mother still uses the term although I think I'm the only one who knows what she means. I've told her it's obsolete, but she says she is too.

I am not a head teacher though.

7. Hahahahaha! I am trying to think what they actually looked like. I know my sister had some (and trolls). I need to know now.
    I work with a few gonks, to be honest. And trolls, looks-wise anyway.

8. So i am wrong to refer to 'dippy' people as 'dipsticks' or 'donuts'? I think those wods are better to use than the 'numpty' a colleague uses!

9. Compared to how supply teachers are spoken to and treated:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007HRACLQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1331911519&sr=8-1