1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not sure if im right to be annoyed or not?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Durc09, Jun 18, 2012.

1. would be teaching A Level from sept but ive found out that it has been taken off me and given to a new member of staff (who doesnt have A Level exp) and instead ive been given another subject to teach one im not trained for when two other members of the dept are trained in that subject and have taught it before. Also a pastoral member of our dept is leaving and instead we are going to divide the job up 6 ways and were to be given extra time to do so- only 2 members of the dept have been given extra time (HOD and 2nd) yet im still expected to do 1/6 of the work.
    Im really annoyed and upset but not sure if I should speak to the person in charge of timetabling as my HOD is off sick or if I should just put up with it?
    Thanks

2. That sounds upsetting, however, It may not help your cause to show any upset.I would certainly make some enquiries but phrase your questions in a calm, composed manner. For instance, you might express a career ambition to teach A'level and you thought you had been assured those classes- when, in the future, will you get this opportunity? Bring in the other matters and try to persuade them that a small series of errors have been spotted before the timetable is finalised. I know how you feel, I have had some upsetting timetables in the past. It is tricky, but stand up for yourself the best way you can

3. No-one knows im upset I keep stuff like that for at home- Im gonna try and get to talk to the Deputy in charge of timetabling tomorrow when ive had chance to sleep on it and compose myself.

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Perhaps he or she stipulated that they would only accept the position if they were guaranteed A Level?
    I am not in accord with those who have said that you should remain quiet. You will only get what you fight for, and if you wish for A Level teaching, then you have to go out and get it. By all means don't do anything silly such as storming into someone's office, but you have to let the school know that you are not happy with the situation as it is at the moment.

5. Nope the new member of staff agreed to pick up slack from that subject if necessary in order to get a full time job! Just had a meeting with the deputy who said its my HOD's decision to change any timetables now not his and shes off sick.

6. It would not be the HOD's ultimate decision. Normally they would have some input, but the level depends on the school. You might have to go over their head- and speak to someone more senior again. Stick to the point about career ambition etc, Your concern is favourable to the school. It is really a request to do more work, not less. It merits a proper discussion. In your line manager's absence speak to the big boss before timetables are set in stone.

7. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

Head of department and SLT member are probably passing the buck. And the head of department might not have wanted it the way it is, but pressure from the deputy made it that way. You need a master copy of the timetable and to go with the solutions not the problems.

8. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

What would the knock on effect be on your progression up the scale if A level was one of your PM targets?

9. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

In this economic climate be glad you have a job!

10. WELL DONE! You've made my day -

11. Congratulations! Good for you :)