1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

not sure if I would take the job, if offered ....

Discussion in 'Independent' started by tartetatin, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    as some of you may remember, I recently attended an interview for the post of part-time, non-resident Houseparent at a fairly prestigious girls' independent school.
    The interview itself went well and the school, staff, and pupils all seem nice.
    However, I was a bit shocked (not that I showed it, of course!) when the Head told me the salary. It's half what I used to earn as a part-time teacher, working less hours.
    Please don't get me wrong, I've never been the type of person who is motivated by money but at the end of the day, we all have bills to pay and in my case, childcare too.
    Yes, I've probably been naive [​IMG] but I just didn't expect the pay to be so low. Added to that is the fact that I'll have to take my holidays in the school holidays, but will be unpaid for them (although in fairness, I knew this when I applied).
    I just feel a bit demotivated already (and I was so excited about this!), knowing that I wouldn't be able to put one of my children through their day school on my earnings! [​IMG]
    Not sure if it would be worth the hassle to my family, of working evenings and Saturdays....
    Thought I wanted a bit of a break from teaching and the chance to try something new, but at the moment a return to the chalkface isn't looking like such a bad option [​IMG]
    Don't think any of the other candidates were qualified teachers. I may not even be offered the job, but the Head was making the right noises ... and I'm not sure at the moment what I'll say. I find out at the end of this week.
    Not sure what I want you to say really; just wanted to share. Your thoughts as always would be most welcome though - and feel free to say if you think I'm being ar.sey!!!
    Thanks for reading [​IMG]

2. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You forgot to mention this important detail in your original post. The post you were interviewed for, if I am going by my experience, is not a Houseparent role even if they do describe it as such. If it were a real Houseparent role you would be resident.
    In my mind the role offered was that of a " tutor " who would be around during certain hours of the day to help kids with their work, but mainly to help out with non-academic activities and probably prep duty. These roles usually go to graduate helpers who come and help out at a school for a year or two, and then move on to either a teaching post or something else. In which case, the pay is usually board and lodging with some small stipend.
    If you are offered the position then it will be a difficult decision to make. You may be able to make something out of the job being a qualified teacher and it may lead on to better things within the school, but equally as well it may not and the timing of the job may not be conducive to you meeting teaching staff on a regular basis.

3. andadam

andadam New commenter

Certainly, a houseparent would not be a non-resident, so the job you've applied for would more accurately be described as house/boarding tutor. The term houseparent is being used more these days often to accurately reflect the housemaster/mistress situation FG explains, but where the housemaster/mistress works with their spouse in a genuinely family atmosphere. One or both of the couple would usually teach, too. It's becoming the norm in boarding prep schools in particular, but it remains the remit of matrons to organise laundry, medicines, etc...