1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

not sure how to take "advice" - Theo et al

Discussion in 'Independent' started by beech2012, May 4, 2012.

1. Hi
    Am in a small school which is having difficulties although there are contingency plans. Head has "told" (quote) me to find a new job, even though I don't want to leave and would rather wait and see what opportunities might open up. Can the Head do this?
    Would appreciate any thoughts from anyone ..... "constructive dismissal" has been mentioned, although I don't really understand what this is.
    B

2. Hi
    Am in a small school which is having difficulties although there are contingency plans. Head has "told" (quote) me to find a new job, even though I don't want to leave and would rather wait and see what opportunities might open up. Can the Head do this?
    Would appreciate any thoughts from anyone ..... "constructive dismissal" has been mentioned, although I don't really understand what this is.
    B

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

This is not an answer as to what you should or should not do, or your rights within this environment. That is an answer for someone who knows the situation better and an employment lawyer.
    There are some things you could do though, and one of those is to make contingency plans.
    You need to start looking at a worst case scenario and rationalise your options. What would you do if the school folded at the end of this academic year? Do you have a way out? Is your subject or your skills in high demand in your area? What other schools are advertising for your position.
    I have worked in a school that closed - not because of financial issues but because of a government decision. It was distressing to see people who had families and dependents suddenly realise, as if awakening from a stupor - that they had three months left to find a job and that there were suddenly another 200 or so staff on the job market.
    You have to look after yourself. No one else will.

4. Thanks Karvol

I have got a contingency plan that I am happy with (as far as one can be "happy" in the current situation!) - but the head was adamant that I "had" to look for a new job and wasn't really listening to the reasons behind my plan.

I found the whole thing rather odd and frankly quite upsetting and friends - non teaching - have said the head crossed a line legally that shouldn't have been crossed. I was just curious really to see what teachers in the indy sector would think about it.

Thanks for taking the time to answer - if anyone else has any thoughts or opinions I would still like to hear them!
    B

5. (Not sure why non of my paragraphing has been included and some of my punctuation is missing! I'm a bit of a novice with regard to forums and posting!)

6. If you choose to leave you are entitled to no redundancy pay. But if the school finds it has no further use for you and you volunteer for redundancy in response to a formal request, you do get redundancy pay. Is this why the Head wants you to leave?

7. I'm really not sure! Am quite confused by the whole thing. Is the Head "telling" me to leave so that they won't have to pay redundancy pay or can what was said to me be taken as a formal request to leave? Could be construed as either I suppose!

8. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

It's not formal until it's in writing. They might be giving you earlier warning so you have time to job-search and get something else before being pushed out, which would probably be the best scenario for everyone. If you can't or don't want to, they'll have to put together a redundancy package and give you proper, written notice.
    You can look at it both ways really. I feel awful for you, it must be such a horrible situation to be in!

9. Thanks Noemie - it is pretty horrible so I wait to see what the next week or so holds. Luckily I do have a plan B ... but am hoping not to have to follow it!
    B x