1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not smart enough to be a teacher?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lucyeallan, Jun 21, 2020.

1. lucyeallan

lucyeallan New commenter

I have recently been looking at applying to become a primary school teacher focusing on the 3-7 age range starting in 2021. However, I do not think I am clever enough to do it even though I have the academic requirements to do so, does anyone else feel like this?

I am currently studying for my master's degree but lack any real practical understanding of schools and the national curriculum. I currently work as a nursery nurse and have done for a few years now and I love doing that but am looking at progressing my career within education and becoming a teacher seems like the next logical step for me. Does everyone doubt themselves? I am constantly looking at and completing CPD courses to help my understanding but without the practical experience, it does not seem to be as effective as it could be.

2. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Why not move from being a nursery nurse to a primary TA to prepare yourself. Working in nursery is in many ways tougher than primary. I think it is fear of the unknown that is frightening you.

Kartoshka likes this.
  3. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Imposter syndrome? So what practical experience do you need? Look at where the gaps are and be as specific as possible. That way you can fill them. It might be that you feel you don't know enough about SEN. If so, ask to shadow a SENCO. There are always ways forward as long as you're proactive.