1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not sleeping

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sillow, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I keep lying awake in the night and never feel I get a full night's sleep. Any top tips I could try (bearing in mind I can't turn a light on due to Mr Sillow wanting to sleep in the dark)?

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I do alphabets, for example, thinking of a river, boy's name, girl's name, country beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Boring but it works. It really doesn't matter if you can't think of one. It just requires the right amount of thinking to distract me without keeping me awake.

emerald52, Lara mfl 05 and Sillow like this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

I find my Kindle very useful in this situation. It has a backlight which can be set at various levels of brightness/dimness. I can read myself back to sleep without disturbing my OH.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Kalms, Night Kalms, Nytol, Nytol herbal, prescribed sleeping tablets (Ambien), Lavender oil on pillow, listening to ‘natural’ sounds through headphones eg waves, rain, thunderstorms, deep breathing practices, reciting the Lord’s Prayer in my head, camomile tea

As you might guess, I have a history of poor sleep - I’ve done all of the above and worn the T-shirt

Now I have retired, I am sleeping better, and when I don’t, I can have a daytime nap whenever I want...... bliss!!

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

That does sound like bliss and I am not jealous at all, oh no. Not me.

frangipani123 and nomad like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Apparently a glass of warm milk will convert the tryptophan in the milk to serotonin and melatonin and help you sleep.

Maybe it is the placebo effect. Infants often go right to sleep after breastfeeding. When an adult enjoys a warm glass of milk they may just be taking an unconscious, nostalgic trip back to this “happy place.”

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    nizebaby, emerald52 and Sillow like this.
  7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I always drink warm milk when I go to bed. I rarely have trouble sleeping. No idea if it's the milk, though.

Sillow, nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Things that help me are a shower just before bed (something to do with cooling down quickly or something I think - it's why bath then bed helps babies go to sleep?), listening to audiobooks, or counting slowly from one in time with my breathing.

Sillow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Sillow, I feel yr pain. I have a few things that contribute to general pain but every life has sunshine and showers and I know mine to be much more sunshiney than others'. But that goes nowhere except to make you feel ungrateful and force you to make a thousand scenarios in qhi5ch (edit: if im stuck with pt, is "which" too difficult?) everything will be great if only. Or maybe that's just me.
    I used to tell my poorly kids if you lie perfectly still and think about only good things you remember, it's as good as being asleep. Obvs tbey fell asleep .
    I dont want to patronise you but I forgot it was a tactic and started doing it myself and actually, it's not bad.

Sillow likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I can sympathise as most of my life I've suffered with poo sleep. School, worry about elderly parents, menopause all contributed to poor sleep patterns and nothing seemed to help. Like stopwatch I tried everything. Now I'm retired (2 years)and free of care duties.now for nearly a year I find it's getting better, However all those bad sleep pattern habits mean I rarely sleep through and rarely more than 4-5 hours in a block.:(

So for what's it's worth try and get some good rituals in to help and hope something works before bad habits are formed.

Sillow likes this.
  11. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have been sleeping dreadfully for quite a long time now. When the sciatic nerve decided it was going to try and outdo the arthritis last autumn I have had a lot of pain and for a good while it seemed worse on getting into bed. I have taken meds prescribed by my GP practice. They didnt fill me too full of confidence when i read the 'bumf' and saw they were for bed wetting and mild depression (I wasnt depressed before but i was a lil after that !) They also made me have very vivid dreams.... and on waking ... a very dry mouth. I have recently stopped taking them. A friend of mine has been given them for her facial pain /neuralgia so I felt a little better after that.

So sleep..... well I go to bed and take one of the 7 volumes of "Game of Thrones." Alas these books are at least 400 pages long.... and I am now on no 6 I think. I usually fall asleep pretty soon after starting reading.... often waking myself up as the book drops from my hands to the floor. It is usually at least 1am...... I then wake at 3 am ish..... go to the bathroom as I decide that is prob best in the rare rare case that I sleep on for a longer time. on a grim night I am awake again at 4 ish..... or.... and I hate this.... I just cannot get back off to sleep and the pain is such that I decide to get up as sitting on the chair in the lounge seems less painful. So this morning for example i gave up at 5 30am. Worst was when I got up at 3am.... no sleep at all that night. I can nod off tho in the chair..... but I feel really groggy in the day.
    In fact I will get off now..... as I often wait up for MrREMfan to get home at 11 45 - hence not getting to bed before 1am. I used to try illustrating illuminated letters in my head.... again a 'boring' activity to try and lull the brain. My other half often doesn't come to bed til after 3 am.... I don't know how he copes with me when I am restless but he always says he is fine. Sometimes a heat pad helps me also...... I do also wonder whether the so expensive memory foam mattress makes life more difficult for me as I find turning over hard and it wakes me up too.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Sleeping tablets, a good claret and sex. Works every time! ;)

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Is that where your name 'on my knees' comes from?!!:eek:;)

14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I listen to Book at Bedtime on Radio 4 at 10.45. I usually have no idea what is going on since I drop off. If I can’t sleep I get up and make a cup of tea and sometimes rifle through TES.

15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I think our body temperature drops when we sleep, so make sure you are not too warm.
    Are you perhaps anxious about the new term? Or anything else? Is it one of those "lying awake with something on your mind" not-sleepings or one of those "I don't know why I'm awake" not-sleepings?
    Can you get up quietly and migrate to the spare room? That works for me.

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I have always slept badly, if I'm working the next day, I take 2 Pulsatilla tablets, otherwise I revert to reading chick-lit style books, but Gaddafi's Green Book or The Communist Party Manifesto has the same effect!! (boring books/thick books to knock you on the head)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Separate bedrooms.

I have no idea why people share a bedroom unless they are short of space!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

I think of a big number (137 say ) and count backwards in threes. It works for me, I have no idea why.

Sillow and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have tried everything for 55 years. None work. Going to bed is a necessary hell.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I cannot remember the last time I slept through the night. Founder member of the wide awake club!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.