1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not shortlisted - Gutted!!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gakare77, Mar 28, 2012.

1. gakare77

gakare77 New commenter

I applied for an assistant headteacher's job in a secondary school (in charge of behavior) and was not shortlisted. I am gutted because I have an excellent track record on behavior in the school (I am a head of year) and I have frequently been commended for the excellent behavior shown by my year group and in lessons as well as around the school. The feedback I got for not having been shortlisted was that "I did not say/explain in my application what I have done in school - other than in my year team". When I asked for examples of how I can do this, the head gave examples of gate duty etc which I do all the time. Needless to say, I am gutted!! I think that this a case of a job created with a specific person in mind.
    Do I need to be seen to do things in the school (and not just rely on results of what I am doing)?
    Now I want to apply for a similar post in a different school. Any advice on how to get shortlisted?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Gate duty? What a pathetic, useless reply.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, lots. Look in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    And then read this:
    Nearly 900 Leadershop jobs advertised today
    It refers to one that you've missed, but there are more coming up - e-mail Julia on advice@tes.co.uk and ask for the dates.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.