1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Not returning back to work after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by crimper, May 15, 2011.

1. I am on maternity leave at present and the 12 months ends 31st October. I haven't decided if I will go back to work at the end of my leave. If I decide not to return to my job when do I need to tell my employer. Would I still have to hand in my notice as of 31st May?

2. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

My maternity leave runs out on October 31st also but I have told my employer I'm going back in September already.
    I would imagine we are still bound by the same resgination deadlines, but then you may have to pay back some of your maternity pay if you didn't go back. You need to go back for 13 weeks. If you contact pay and employment for your LA they can help you. I got sent a pack from my LA detailing it all.

3. I'd be interested to know the answer to this as I'm in the same position!

4. I didn't take the extra money anyway so wont have to pay that back, I will get it paid to me if i do go back for the 13 weeks so that's no problem. I just haven't decided whether I want to go back or not and what I think now might not be what I am thinking in Sept/oct time. I will phone my council tomorrow and see what they have to say.

5. They will just tell you that the offical line is that you have to resign by 31st May. Phone your Union instead. There is no way they can force you back to work if you change your mind late in the day.

6. Just to let you know that I have spoken to county council and the lady said that I would just have to give the 8 weeks notice so this would be in summer hols and the more notice that I give the better for the school seeking a replacement.

7. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

Glad you got some answers. I didn't realise we only needed to give 8 weeks notice if we hadn't taken the enhanced pay!

8. erm

erm

I'm assuming that you didn't actually say you were going back in September. I'm assuming you told them you were returning on the first day of the summer holidays. But just in case, what did you actually tell them?