1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not returning after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lcollins1982, Oct 20, 2015.

1. lcollins1982

lcollins1982 New commenter

Hi all
    Can someone help me I've been off since June on full maternity pay I'm on main pay 6.

I've seen a job I want to apply for that they have said could start in feb (if I get it) how much would I have to pay back ? And when would I need to tell my current school?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can't start a new job in February if you are still employed by your current school (and that includes if you are on maternity leave). I think that means you would need to resign w.e.f. 31st December, and that would mean your resignation needs to be handed in by the end of October.

However there is the possibility that you would be able to negotiate to leave your contract in February; I guess you can make the case that as by that point you will be on flat rate SMP (which is paid for by the government), it makes no practical difference to the school whether you leave in February or April. However if they refuse to let you go in February, and that means you can't take up the new post, I guess they get to keep you - so your argument is stronger if they know you will go in April anyway. If the new post will wait for you until April if necessary, then you're then in a better position to negotiate February.

Paying back - it's the 12 weeks half-pay, and four weeks where you had 100% pay instead of 90%.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You would need to pay back the 'enhanced maternity pay' - The 12 weeks at 50% pay part - usually, depending on pay point, around 4K.

You could inform your current school now that you have no intent of returning post leave. There after the usually resignation dates apply.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter