1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

not returned to work and gone on to suppy teaching?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by EBC, Jun 2, 2011.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hello- more advice and experiences please.
    As you may have read i'm still researching what to do with regards to going back to work. For anyone new to my story, my school has refused my request for part time days. I have a week to decide what to do next. I know the points about not returning to work and having to pay back maternity money.
    I'm just trying to see if anyone has not gone back to their job and started supply teaching. Financially was it a good idea? How does it work for you? I'm thinking whether the work/life balance is better than being unhappy fulltime back at work but economically better off?
    Thanks for any responses.

2. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hello- more advice and experiences please.
    As you may have read i'm still researching what to do with regards to going back to work. For anyone new to my story, my school has refused my request for part time days. I have a week to decide what to do next. I know the points about not returning to work and having to pay back maternity money.
    I'm just trying to see if anyone has not gone back to their job and started supply teaching. Financially was it a good idea? How does it work for you? I'm thinking whether the work/life balance is better than being unhappy fulltime back at work but economically better off?
    Thanks for any responses.

3. Hi, I've never been on supply so no experiences but my advice would be if you could just about survive on your OH's salary some months, then go for it. The reason I say this is that you wouldn't be guaranteed work and personally we couldn't survive from month to month without knowing how much I was going to earn.
    Becky makes a good point too about childcare- who would have your LO? I don't know if childminders or nurseries would be able to have the baby at a moment's notice as they need to know who is filling their spaces from day to day but if you have family to care for the baby then that won't be a problem.

4. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hi, thanks for replying.
    My mum would be looking after my little one. Originally when we talked about it, 3 days a week part time at school- we agreed 3 days a week. So that would be covered if I was called to supply. I'm not sure what to do now.
    I think its going to have to be returning to work full time and in the meantime look elsewhere.
    So disappointed :(

5. Are you secondary or primary? I am not sure how much work is out there for supply as it seems a saturated market and most schools now employ cover supervisors and only get supply in when desparate.