1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not quite plagiarism. . .

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by MrSirsirsir, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Recently I emailed the Head a suggestion for an initiative with sample materials and resources, basically querying if there the school would like me to proceed. It could be viewed as either presumptuous or showing initiative, but since I am one of the few "invisibles" who is blissfully ignored (therefore not bullied) I thought I would risk it. I received no reply and presumed that I had been ignored as being presumptious.

Fast forward to this week: the school announces a new initiative that is very similar to the one I suggested. I initially thought that the idea I had emailed had already been in the pipeline and the reason I was ignored was because of "teaching grandma to suck eggs" attitude. Until I viewed the resources on the school system, and they are the ones I created. Exactly as I created, as you can see my name on the documents as the author. They had literally just been saved in. (This was less than an evenings work so is not a massive deal)

When this was announced it was: "We are doing X and the resources are on the system, everyone has to do this". My work has not technically been passed of as someone else's. It has just not been acknowledged.

It is known by some in the school that much of the work of an outgoing member of SMT has been done by me. While I did not get official recognition or renumeration for it, I have gained a lot of experience that fills out my CV nicely. . . but I have nonethelss been disheartened.

The Head is a bully, but a clever one who ignores me because my behaviour management is excellent, my exam results are always brilliant, and I do so many extras. .

Do I chalk this up to experience and stop trying to progress here (in a school I love). Or do I risk getting on the Heads bad side by drawing attention to the injustice of not recognising my work in the hopes of him admitting how much I do. . . how could I do it without drawing ire upon myself and open myself up to the tirades received by many of my colleagues. Or am I annoyed for no reason.

(Apologies for the vagueness: I want to remain anonymous.)

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

You chalk it up or probably down to experience. Every resource you create is the intellectual property of your employer. It is simply not worth arguing about.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd be more selfish in future. Invent anything - keep it for yourself!

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I agree with FF and why would you want to continue to work for such a vile person although you love the school? You obviously are good at your jobv and if I were you I would not stick around.

5. Amylicorice

Amylicorice New commenter

As I read this my jaw dropped.

You've a few issues at play here- but basically it boils down to do you stay or do you go. And you probably know that answer.

If you stay you will be bullied- the reason you haven't been so far is because as you said you 'stay under the radar', results and behaviour management don't really count too much, a bully will bully whoever is next.

Go somewhere to be appreciated.

Also never email work like that- I have designed a few initiatives in my time and I rarely give an electronic copy (always PDF), most things are hand written (old school) and outlines presented in pencil- that way the question has to be asked

"oh Mrs Licorice, would you like a TLR to do this project?"

Any resources I design for the school stay the property of the school and I don't stress too much about recognition. But anything I do off my own bat, with my own research and own funding out of school hours stays mine- unless the school wants to design a way to use that with my consent.

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Listen mate, it has already been said. You either suck it up or look elsewhere. If you feel you want the recognition go elsewhere and get it. You seem one of those too attached to one place. You can't love a school can you? If you want progress, move.

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you feel this negatively towards the HT, consider leaving. You will only get more resentful and feel that more injustice is being doled out to you.

8. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

Well, maybe the Head is cavalierly using your initiative without any intention of acknowledging it.

Or maybe there is more to it. He wrote you a memo thanking you and saying he'd see it through from this point on, but failed to press 'send'. He told his PA to make a time to have a chat with you but the PA forgot.

Or maybe it was obvious that it didn't take you long (you say 'less than an evening') and was the sort of thing that is part of your remit as HoD (if such you are) so he'd expect such initiatives from you from time to time. Perhaps he was saving you the trouble of introducing it at a staff meeting by issuing it himself.

I can't believe people are telling you to quit over this!

If you want to clear up any doubt, go and have a chat and say how pleased you are that he has adopted your initiative, and would he like you to monitor its effectiveness over the next term? If he's as smart as you say he is, he will realise that you are miffed even though you haven't said so, and may take the opportunity to make a gracious acknowledgment.