1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not quite clicking with school mentor...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by greasychipbuttie, Jan 27, 2020.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Nothing major but just don't seem to have built that relationship with school mentor.

When in class, all conversation from her goes through TA, it makes me feel invisible.

We don't seem anything in common to discuss away from school things so it can go quiet and slightly awkward. I then overthink things.

Its not we dislike each other, more it just hasn't clicked, which has thrown me a little as I got a good bond with my placement A school mentor.

Any advice? I am always polite and more than happy to help around the class when not teaching.

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

You are both there to work so both quietly getting on with the job is not a problem to be 'solved'. Not everyone likes to be chatty while they are concentrating on getting their work done. This doesn't mean your mentor likes or dislikes you.

This sounds a bit odd. Is your mentor sending the TA to talk to you or is the TA doing this off their own back? Using the TA to relay information prevents you and your mentor being sure that the information is understood by both parties. After school one day, try approaching your mentor to explain how this makes you feel.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

If this is your only problem, you are streets ahead of the average student

4. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Really?

I feel quite lonely. I’d hate to hear people feel worse than me!