1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not prosecuting Abbott is racist and sexist - white blokes would be prosecuted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by binaryhex, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

No I don't think we do. If the white male politician was very well known throughout the land and had a prominent post in the Shadow Cabinet I think the outcry would be exactly the same. It seems to me that because Ms Abbott happens to be a black woman she can do whatever she likes and anyone who criticizes is branded a racist. I am not racist. I believe that when in public, politicians have a duty to behave lawfully regardless of their gender or ethnicity.

nomad likes this.
  2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Winston Churchill was knocking back alcohol quite openly when he was in charge during WW11.

3. Oscillatingass

Yes Churchill was well known for his love of booze but I don't think he ever broke any bylaws or put himself or his party in an embarrassing position due to public drinking. Or maybe I am wrong and the fact he was white and male meant he could do what the heck he wanted with no comeback.

4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

[​IMG]

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Well, apart from this one, today ;):
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48022800
    False expenses claim Tory MP Chris Davies fined £1,500

nomad likes this.
  6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Has she been promoted to Home Secretary while I wasn't looking?

The thread starts with the premise that white men would be prosecuted for this. Do we know exactly how many white men have been prosecuted since these laws came into force?

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes indeed, but as it wasn't announced until after I'd posted I hope I am forgiven for knowing nothing about it :)

Although Diane Abbott is a hypocrite and should never be Home Secretary on the grounds of her general incompetence this particular issue has been blown out of all proportion by political opponents for their own purposes. Yes shadow Home Secretaries should obey the law, but it's a pretty trivial matter. It was one small tin of M&S Mojito for goodness sake!

chelsea2 and nomad like this.
  8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd usually be the last person to say anything supportive of Rees-Mogg but really that is a pointless and almost wholly wrong internet meme which is irrelevant to this thread and adds nothing much to anything.

Wentworth Woodhouse is not Rees-Mogg's wife's ancestral home. I doubt she's ever been there. She wasn't from the direct family line that once owned it, and by the time she was born in 1977 it had long since stopped being anyone's home and had been used for many years as a PE training college. She does have a family connection to it but it's remote. More to the point the implication of the meme that somehow Rees-Mogg's wife will get financial benefit from the restoration grant is wholly wrong and just a cheap political slur.

And the Chancellor hasn't "just awarded" a £7.6m grant to the current owners. It was in 2016.

What's the point of your post?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    border_walker and nomad like this.
  10. Oscillatingass

It is whataboutery. I guess the meme is to demonstrate Ms Abbott only drank alcohol disregarding a bylaw whereas Reece-Mogg is guilty of fraud on a massive scale. You have shown Reece-Mogg is guilty of nothing. Abbott remains guilty of a foolhardy lack of judgement.

Happygopolitely, lanokia and nomad like this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yet another gormless and irrelevant meme.

The government funding will be used to address subsidence due to the open cast mining of its grounds which took place after WWII. The Labour minister of fuel at the time, Manny Shinwell, hated the aristocracy and told the owner that the National Coal Board would mine “right up to your bloody front door”.

The last owners, the Fitzwilliams, moved out in 1946 and the house was put into a family trust. Lady Juliet Tadgell, the only child of the earl and now Mr Rees-Mogg’s mother-in-law, inherited the family fortune but not the home.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

There's always this pernicious assumption that Diane Abbott is "incompetent". I have to say, whenever I've seen her perform her duties in the House during Ministers' Questions she does a competent job, and frequently puts her opposite number under pressure and on the defensive, which is of course what you'd expect from a Shadow Minister. Abbott does not come over as well on TV appearances, but I can think of many a minister who has folded like a pack of cards under persistent probing interrogation. As for the famous gaffe over the cost of police officers, didn't our redoubtable Chancellor seem to be under the impression that council houses cost £600 each? No, the point is that Diane Abbott doesn't get a fair shake, is the victim of a huge number of pernicious myths, and the public seem to have an elephantine memory of her dubious statements, while they have forgotten and forgiven, say, Theresa May's hostile environment and "go home" vans.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You have a point.

The large majority of subsequent posts, however, were simply about Abbott's behaviour and whether it was excusable or not.

What really annoyed me was the inference, from more than one poster, that anyone who has the temerity to criticise Abbott is, almost by default, either sexist or racist or both.

Why is it that when a Conservative politician such as May, Johnson or Gove, or others such as Trump, Kim Jong-Un or anyone else whose behaviour is worthy of negative comment is criticised then it is allowable, but when it is a Labour politician it inevitably becomes a "smear"? (At least, to some!)

Neither Corbyn nor Abbott are exempt from justifiable criticism, not indeed is any politician. I do not give a damn about Abbott's sex or her skin colour. Like almost all other posters on the thread I commented on her behaviour. Nothing more.

I find it surprising how vile some posters can be per se. Especially with regard to their who have differing views on Brexit or politics. "All Tories are scum" and "Those who voted Leave are xenophobic bigots" being just two examples.

As for questionable posts...

It is not just Labour politicians who are subject to these.

Let's criticise their behaviour, not make fun of their names.

And, for what it is worth, I don't particularly like Reece-Mogg. I consider him to be erudite and intelligent but also arrogant, privileged and completely out of touch with ordinary people, so I am certainly not being his apologist.

We should be able to criticise politicians of every colour (both skin and political affiliation) as well as hold our own views on Brexit, etc., without being on the receiving end of inappropriate accusations of bigotry, sexism or racism.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Absolutely... all it does is further render the terms meaningless and ineffective.

The same thing was done to chauvinist. When I was a kid to be called a 'male chauvinist' was terrible. Now it means nothing. So then it was sexist... now that gets shrug of the shoulders... so now they use misogynist... and apply it so liberally that soon that word will be meaningless.

Racist as held on to some of its power... despite the best efforts of some to undermine it.

And think about the logic failure on show:
    ''Don't criticise Abbot because she is a black woman and that makes you racist''
    but when they criticise Israel they'll have you believe that doesn't make them antisemitic. Can't have it both ways.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Criticise either Corbyn or Abbott and it is a 'smear'. Perfectly acceptable, it seems, to criticise or abuse other politicians.

With regard to criticism of Israel, criticism of the state is perfectly acceptable, as much as is, say, criticism of Russia, North Korea or Venezuela. However, criticism of Israel as a Jewish state is not, and that is where so many Labour politicians have fallen on the wrong side of the fence (and some posters still do).

I get just so fed up with the abuse being hurled at posters by others who have strong left political or remain Brexit viewpoints. As I posted on another thread, I got called a xenophobic bigot by a poster on this forum for not voting remain. Not because I voted leave - I didn't. I didn't vote either way. I was on a Year 6 residential in York but still got the abuse.

valentyna_holenkova likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I agree... but interesting how posters who attack Israel will often be the first to leap to the defence of Venezuela... or North Korea, Iran, Russia... they bemoan Israel annexing Palestinian West Bank but will defend the annexation of the Crimea.

valentyna_holenkova and nomad like this.
  17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

Which poster has defended the annexation of the Crimea? Missed that one.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

19. Oscillatingass

Absolutely. I am still struggling to understand the mentality of some of our TES colleagues who were sure the Russians had nothing to do with the use of Novichok in Salisbury and were strongly hinting the British Government was responsible. I mean... it beggars belief. I understand some folks are passionate about politics but really one must try to keep a grip on reality.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Like curating collections of fishing hooks or tying trout flies?

Happygopolitely and primarycat like this.