1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not prosecuting Abbott is racist and sexist - white blokes would be prosecuted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by binaryhex, Apr 21, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

To be honest I don't give a damn. In fact I give less than a damn!

Diane Abbott is hardly the sharpest tool in the Labour box. She is more blunt than the back end of the Titanic and equally prone to disaster. She is thicker than the proverbial two short planks (as clearly evidenced by her attempt to explain the costs of increasing the police force) and only owes her current position to her prior sexual relationship with Corbyn.

Her current situation of being caught out drinking alcohol on a TFL train is entirely of her own making and any suggestion that highlighting this as an attempt to "smear" her is clearly lunatic.

Basically, Abbott has fuqued up (again!) and the attempts of the simpering apologists on this forum to exonerate her are, quite simply, nauseating.

She has apologised and, for me, that is sufficient. As I said in an earlier post, given the circumstances of a hot day, public transport, disregarding familiar warning signs, I may very well have done the same. And apologised too.

BUT she has broken the law. Live with it. Suck it up! Abbott has make a mistake. Stop attempting to excuse her.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

You Mr Nomad are not a politician well known to the public so you have no reason to be particularly scrupulous about your behaviour when when in the public eye. Ms Abbott on the other hand...…...

dunnocks and nomad like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Indeed!

4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Where is the outrage over white male MPs who have broken the law (of which there are far more than black female MPs) in particular those who have not been prosecuted for doing so, and many of whom have got away with an apology once they were found out? I can't say I've noticed either the OP or those posters supporting his/her opinion making a big deal over them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_scandals_in_the_United_Kingdom

Without an equal and proportionate focus on them, the tone of this thread is definitely sexist and racist.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

START A THREAD!

Utter cobblers! UTTER COBBLERS!!

This thread is about Abbott and an event which happened a couple of days ago!

If you want to discuss white male MPs who have broken the law, then START A THREAD!!! You may get some outrage on that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeez!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

of course it isn't.

You could say the same thing about any thread at all not mentioning something or other.

The subject of this thread is the behaviour of one particular individual, this week and in the past.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

She's done wrong in this instance and she's apologised. I agree that's more than enough for an incident that quite frankly I think is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things.

8. ilovesooty

No the subject of this thread was her recent action of drinking in a prohibited place. Nothing more.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

As I have already posted more than once.

ilovesooty likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

Yes, you have.

nomad likes this.
  11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

its about more, because this behaviour isn't one-off; its part of a pattern of poor judgement and entitled behaviour

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It may have such a policy...but l haven't seen any publicity for it on London Overground.

13. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

It is astonishing how unobservant some people seem to be.

[​IMG]

14. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

15. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Would an equivalent thread have been started if a white male Tory MP had been spotted drinking on the tube and not been prosecuted?

I think we all know the answer to this.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. ilovesooty

No. The actual subject of the thread was what I said. You in particular have chosen to make it about more. The original thread title was about this incident,whether she should be prosecuted and the OP's belief that a white man would have been.

Opinions of Diane Abbott in general will obviously vary but the original thread title wasn't about that. As @nomad said about someone else's claim to a wider issue, "Start a thread".

nomad and bombaysapphire like this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

From a quick read of that list since hardly any of the examples in it since 2000 are of anyone breaking the law so your comparison doesn't hold. Nor does it support your assertion that far more white male MPs breaking the law than black female MPs. (Obviously that would be true if you go back further as there was only one black female MPs prior to 2000, Diane Abbott.

The list is mostly political scandals that didn't involve illegality but embarrassed the party. The only undoubted criminal act by a white male MP was Chris Huhne perverting the course of justice and he undoubtedly was prosecuted and got 8 months imprisonment. (Possibly one or two of the expenses scandals might have been a criminal act, it's not clear. Mostly it was not following internal 'employers' procedures.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    nomad likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't think people are prosecuted under the TfL ban - they just get "advice" from the British Transport Police. People who are so inebriated that they are a nuisance to other passengers are more likely to be prosecuted for being drunk and disorderly.

19. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

i agree about starting a thread but to pretend this thread is just about Abbott when the OP deliberately cites - if this had happened to a white guy blah blah

is just a bit silly

love to see the Venn Diagram of the people bling furious about this and the ****** who were tweeting about Lee Rigby day on the anniversary of Stephen Lawrence :rolleyes:

monicabilongame and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  20. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The chance of a Tory MP rubbing shoulders with the proles down on the Tube are pretty slim.

monicabilongame likes this.