1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not prosecuting Abbott is racist and sexist - white blokes would be prosecuted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by binaryhex, Apr 21, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

then she wouldn't be apologising for drinking alcohol on the tube in the middle of the day...

nomad and Oscillatingass like this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oh missed that.

nomad likes this.
  3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

. Deleted. I won't rise to baited posts.

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

What I am wondering is whether

a) she thought about it and decided to go ahead and break the rule
    (not great in a high profile politician)

b) she did it without thinking or considering it, because reaching for the rum unthinkingly came naturally to her
    (not great in a high profile politician)

c) She does it often and didn't give it a thought one way or another
    ( not great in a high profile politician)

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

its not offensive, or stupid, she has form for being unable to make sensible judegments ( she says) for medical reasons - how much more so after drinking rum?

what is she's sick? ill? confused? all the things that she blames on not controlling her diabetes properly in the past? dependent on other people to keep her safe, people who just want to get on with their own day, but can't.

This happens to people who drink on the bus/tube.

Thts why its forbideen

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes, because she is sitting on a tube, glugging back the rum.

7. MAGAorMIGA

The hatred just oozes out of your posts. They seem to be motivated by more than an ordinary malice. What's Diane done to you? Did she beat you in an Election or something?

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I think you were right the first time.

9. needabreak

Perhaps her misdemeanors might be looked on more leniently if they went along with a MH diagnosis, there's a tad more understanding there than for simple dogmatism or indeed potential alcoholism. Though I hope she is well, I suspect all is not as it should be but then again I shouldn't speculate and hope she gets her act together for the sake of her party... Or ships out whichever they deem most suitable.

10. MAGAorMIGA

"Her misdemeanours". We're blessed on this site with the presence of so many saints who have never exceeded the speed limit, imbibed illegal drugs (or legal drugs underage), committed pre-marital intercourse and never, I repeat NEVER, drunk alcohol in a public place. Congratulations on your purity, everyone.

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

How potent is an M&S pre-mixed mojito? Unless she managed to knock back several I doubt that she was anywhere close to drunk.

Jamvic, InkyP, FrankWolley and 5 others like this.
  12. needabreak

As I used the phrase I have to admit to never having drunk alcohol on the tube. As for the rest of what you said it's irrelevant since others have pointed out that she apparently apologised so why would she do that if not that she thought better of it after the event.

If there are rules that would preclude me doing my job if I partook I would avoid doing them, in fact there are and I do avoid... So you point has limited relevance to what I have said.

13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It was not rum. It was a mojito cocktail containing rum.

nervousned and sparkleghirl like this.
  14. herisunk

herisunk New commenter

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I suspect "glugging" is probably a misleading word as well but hey, this isn't really about the drink anyway.

16. ilovesooty

Judging by similar drinks the alcohol bv will have been at most 8% and possibly quite a bit less.

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The right wing parties are terrified of the possibility of Labour getting into power and so will do anything and everything they can think of to smear Labour politicians, especially with the European elections coming up. The stronger Labour get the more the nasty right will do whatever they can to ruin reputations. The latest attack is only to have been expected, sadly. What I do find surprising is how vile some posters on here can be towards left wing politicians, particularly someone like Diane Abbott who is constantly on the receiving end of the racist abuse and has been for decades. But then again, considering the tone of some of their posts, perhaps I shouldn't.

18. ilovesooty

Absolutely.

sparkleghirl and bombaysapphire like this.
  19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

If that's the case, they can stand down.

20. needabreak

Excellent swerve from the individual action to her political opposition.

I thought this thread was about a potential home secretary in waiting and their public conduct. If you deem the behaviour acceptable given her role then say so, others might disagree but surely that's the issue being discussed. Everyone knows she's been a liability to the party pretty much every time she opens her mouth for years, I doubt that will change.

nomad and LondonCanary like this.