1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not prosecuting Abbott is racist and sexist - white blokes would be prosecuted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by binaryhex, Apr 21, 2019.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

What a hypocrite this person is. First she slags off private education, then sends her son to a posh private school instead of the local state sink school, where the locals have to go. Now she supports laws 'for other people'.

It's time for this person with the irritating haircut and knack for calling everyone who questions her beliefs, 'racist' to be prosecuted. There is nothing worse than arrogant politicians thinking laws are for other people. If it were a white bloke caught, they'd be up in front of the beak.

Why hasn't she been prosecuted? Why does she feel the need to be drinking rum on a train, like a yob going to a footy match?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

This has nothing to do with education news.

In addition, it’s almost certainly wrong. Prosecutions on TfL fir drinking have been almost non-existent since the ban, with offences usually dealt with by ‘having a word’.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I have never understood how she was allowed to say those things about white nurses in the NHS. She should have been thrown out of the labour party and prosecuted then, The fact that she wasn't made be cross the labour party off my list of parties to ever consider voting for. She must be the biggest liability they have

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Maybe she is in the pay of the conservatives? She must help them win millions of votes

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

1. It's not education news
    2. It's a load of blx. How many white men have not been prosecuted for shafting the country? Far worse crimes have been committed and go unpunidhed than that of drinking a mini can of mojito on public transport and those slating Abbott care little for those.

It's clear where the OP's priorities and values lie.

6. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Anything to do with a minister or shadow minister has something to do education, either directly or indirectly. These people collectively agree education policy and push forward agendas.

Why should the British people trust someone who feels the need to drink rum during the day, and break a clear law that they know about? Was this in the morning after breakfast, or was it breakfast? What were the exact circumstances of this drinking - was she on the way to work to represent us? How much exactly had she had to drink? Was this the first one, or one of many? If so, is she a fit and proper person to hold office? Imagine someone who had been drinking rum being in charge of a Government in the middle of a military operation, where lives were at stake? Imagine someone who has been drinking rum before going to work, and then being asked to be part of a collective making decisions or setting policy about the education and lives of millions of children, and their teachers?

Should there be an expectation that our politicians are completely alcohol-free when they are part of a decision-making collective? Is that really so much to ask?

7. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

But it is odd. It was the middle of the day. She has type 2 diabetes. I can understand she may have felt she needed sugar but a rum cocktail on a tube in the middle of the day? If I had a tin from M and S in my bag after a long all night meeting or whatever I would wait until I got home not drink it on the tube. Weird.

8. sparkleghirl

Middle of a Saturday. Hands up all of those who never drink at lunchtime on a Saturday!
    Type 2 diabetes comes in various degrees of severity. It certainly doesn't have to mean that you only take sugar when you have a dip - a sensible diet will usually keep it in check.

If I was going to wait until I got home, I'd go for something other than M&S mojito in a tin. Wouldn't you?

Many of those criticising her probably don't use public transport at all.

As teachers, we know what it's like to be held to higher standards than others and to be criticised for doing this which many other people do without a second thought.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Was she with a few mates having a laugh or was she drinking alone? Surely a cabinet minister should have some sense of appropriate behaviour. If she is addicted to booze cant she drink in private? Just another example of very poor judgement.

10. sparkleghirl

Easy to find the answers to this, if you want to know, rather than just giving a knee jerk response to tabloid headlines without reading any futher.

monicabilongame likes this.
  11. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

I use the tube frequently. It isn't a very comfortable place to settle down to have a relaxing rum cocktail. Saturday lunchtime in a pub with a couple of friends? Yeah. Trying to down a tin on a short tube ride.....weird. That said I' ve seen worse on the tube and she can do what she likes in her own time but this coupled with a couple of other incidents including the notorious number interview makes me wary of her judgement. However..... Boris!!!!!! There are people like that in every party.

12. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs New commenter

It isn't education news as such, and yes, the police may well have had a 'quiet word' with others who have done the same. But they were just ordinary Joe Public.

But she is Shadow Home Secretary and as such should be upholding the law, not wilfully breaking it. She can't pick and choose which laws she keeps. And although she isn't Shadow Education Secretary, what kind of example does it set to our young people to be drinking alcohol in a place where it has been banned? Does it send the message that she considers it acceptable for others to be doing the same? Is this a way of courting support from the generation who will be casting their votes at the next General Election? What does this say about the Labour Party? OK, she wasn't drunk and wasn't causing a problem to others. But that wasn't the point.

blazer likes this.
  13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Of course that should be "shadow" cabinet minister. God help us all if she gets to be a proper Cabinet Minister.

15. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

I do wonder this more and more. She is an utter liability for Labour and yet seems to be in her own Iron Man suit.

Or perhaps she has something on Corbyn and those at the top.

Having said that, it does appear she is liked by her constituents. I believe she is very good at getting her office staff to take up any issue raised by a constituent - and that is obviously a smart move come election time.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

To be fair I'm not sure that being sober would ensure any better decision making, we have recent events to consider and with hindsight (yes it's wonderful) it's difficult to believe Cameron was actually sober when he asked the question.

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It is also the job an MP.

Perhaps more of them should try it?

18. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It's a safe labour seat so has little to do with liking the candidate, it's been a safe labour seat for decades since before she inherited it from Ernie.

dumpty likes this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Why should she be prosecuted?, TFL approach is to challenge drinkers, ask them to dispose of the alcohol or leave their property. If they dont comply, then they risk prosecution. Why should Abbott be treated differently to everyone else. She is a hypocrite, but thats not a crime.

nervousned likes this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

She should know the law (and be criticised for breaking it) but should be treated no differently from anyone else. That said, being in public office does make it an expectation that one's public behaviour is exemplary.