1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not permanent!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by pooped, Mar 19, 2011.

1. pooped

pooped New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I started my present job in September last year. I was contacted by the headteacher and asked to come in for an interview before the post was advertised. I was offered the job, tho the head was not present at the interview and when I asked, I was told by the chair of governors it was a permanent post. This week the head asked me if I would like to stay on at the school next year and I told her I believed my post to permanent as that was what I had been told but despite my asking I still had not had a contract. She told me not to worry the paper work was in school, she'd check!!!!!
    I checked with the office and was told as far as they she knew it was a temporary post but they couldn't find any paperwork. Great.
    I was just wondering where I stand. Is it just tough luck for me that I was told the wrong thing. I am really worried as we got a mortgage based on the fact my position was permanent. I know this may seem naive as I had no contract but I know the chair of governors and would never have expected her to make such an error.
    That'll teach me, thought it was too good to be true. Not sure what my next step should be so any advice would be hugely appreciated.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Contact your Union ASAP. My understanding is that a contract is a contract, whether verbal or written...

3. pooped

pooped New commenter

Thanks everyone. Have had a pretty miserable weekend and have become resigned to fact that there's not a lot I can do about this one. I will contact my union and HR deparment tomorrow. Pretty devestating way to learn my lesson.
    If it's not in writing, don't believe it!!

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Was there not even a letter offering you the job which you had to return signed to accept?
    That's very unusual.