1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not passing a term...?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Doodlem, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi.

I'm currently an NQT teaching nursery. I have been there since January after the previous teacher left very suddenly for personal reasons. The school have made it very clear that I was a last resort to hire as there was little interest in the position as it was all so last minute.

My school has very very high expectations (crazy high) and nothing is ever good enough. I'd been there just six weeks when ofsted visited, the school was awarded outstanding and my teaching a good - pretty impressive i thought considering.

However, I still can't do anything right. My mentor insists on my planning being in excrutiating detail (five minute sessions often take a whole page to type as it is worded like a script and the learning objective is rephrased in 5 different ways). My assessments are never enough - even tho I physically don't have enough time in the day to do more - I'm not lazy, i only have one pair of hands and one set of eyes so can only observe one child at a time. My TA's are amazing and all pull their weight in terms of work and assessments. The children are well cared for, making excellent progress in all areas, the parents are happy and delighted with how settled their children are. My recents parents evening gave me brilliant feedback.

Yet I am still being told that I may not pass my next (second) term of my NQT year if I don't step up my game... The targets seem so unreasonable and well beyond the call of duty. I only get told about observations the morning of them as I have been told my planning and teaching should be consistantly outstanding and always have a 'wow facor', rather than doing special lessons for observations. I have protested this issue in the past and was sternly told that all children deserve an outstanding education.

The feedback I have received in the past has made me question being a teacher (and my mentor even suggested that maybe I would be a better TA...). I am so happy to be getting out of there this summer.

I have just landed my dream job for september in a very relaxed school (still rated good with elements of outstanding by ofsted). I am wondering what effect it will have on my career if I don't pass my second term of my NQT? As I have another job lined up for september could I just do two terms at my new school instead of one? Can I protest and appeal against decisions made by my mentor on the lines that they are unreasonable?

2. Hi.

I'm currently an NQT teaching nursery. I have been there since January after the previous teacher left very suddenly for personal reasons. The school have made it very clear that I was a last resort to hire as there was little interest in the position as it was all so last minute.

My school has very very high expectations (crazy high) and nothing is ever good enough. I'd been there just six weeks when ofsted visited, the school was awarded outstanding and my teaching a good - pretty impressive i thought considering.

However, I still can't do anything right. My mentor insists on my planning being in excrutiating detail (five minute sessions often take a whole page to type as it is worded like a script and the learning objective is rephrased in 5 different ways). My assessments are never enough - even tho I physically don't have enough time in the day to do more - I'm not lazy, i only have one pair of hands and one set of eyes so can only observe one child at a time. My TA's are amazing and all pull their weight in terms of work and assessments. The children are well cared for, making excellent progress in all areas, the parents are happy and delighted with how settled their children are. My recents parents evening gave me brilliant feedback.

Yet I am still being told that I may not pass my next (second) term of my NQT year if I don't step up my game... The targets seem so unreasonable and well beyond the call of duty. I only get told about observations the morning of them as I have been told my planning and teaching should be consistantly outstanding and always have a 'wow facor', rather than doing special lessons for observations. I have protested this issue in the past and was sternly told that all children deserve an outstanding education.

The feedback I have received in the past has made me question being a teacher (and my mentor even suggested that maybe I would be a better TA...). I am so happy to be getting out of there this summer.

I have just landed my dream job for september in a very relaxed school (still rated good with elements of outstanding by ofsted). I am wondering what effect it will have on my career if I don't pass my second term of my NQT? As I have another job lined up for september could I just do two terms at my new school instead of one? Can I protest and appeal against decisions made by my mentor on the lines that they are unreasonable?

3. Hi,
    It does sounds like you are being treated very unfairly. I'd be wondering why the teacher before you left... As it sounds like a very pressured environment.
    If I were you, I'd seek the advice of your union rep. Especially if they are threatening you will a failure for the term. In fact, if you get satisfactory or above in your observations, they actually can't fail you. And the union would back you up on that.
    Good luck!

4. The first thing to note is that nobody on induction passes or fails their NQT year, at the end of term 1 and 2 the assessment is about makingbsatisfactory progress towards meeting the induction standards. This does not mean that unless you hit outstanding all the time you are failing. That is an nrealistically high standard for any NQT to meet. If ghat is the school standard then they should not have appointed a NQT.

If you have a new post then there is no reason for the school to create difficulties for you. At the end of the term they will write a report and you have the right to add your own statement, e.g. That the standard you were asked to meet was far in excess of meeting e induction standard, and that you feel at you more than met the core induction standard.

This School does not and cannot make a recommendation of a pass or fail, only your new school will do that at the end of term three.

Tough it out to the end of term. If it gets too oppressive then ask your union to intervene on your behalf. To pass induction you just need to meet thecstandards not be outstanding for each and every lesson.

James