1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Not one Muslim I know thinks war in Syria is justified" Yasmin Alibhai-Brown

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Weald56, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Thoughts on this article?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...hinks-war-in-syria-is-justified-a6753656.html

If Cameron et al get their way, how much damage will this divide do to British society?

Once again nobody is speaking to Muslims or Arabs at home. I have not heard a single British Muslim or Arab voice calling for this bombing campaign. OK, some Isis expert called Hassan Hassan thinks it would be smart for Britain to get into the fray. “The importance of Britain’s involvement in the US-led international campaign against the Islamic state should not be in doubt,” he says. Well, sir, millions of us are filled with doubt and fear. Isis exploits the idea of a “crusade” and Western governments and commentators are giving them fodder for this dangerous, seductive narrative. Could we not collectively have mourned the poor murdered victims of Isis in Paris without resorting to ugly culture wars? Europe has great art, science and enlightened politics, but also its horrible histories. I do not think the West is responsible for the death cults, the barbarisms and political putrefaction across the Muslim world – but its policies and interventions have only ever made the nations there more unstable and brutal. And migrants from these places feel caught between these forces of darkness.

To my surprise, I find myself agreeing with the maverick columnist Rod Liddle on this: “Whenever we take military action in the Middle East, we make things worse. For them and us.” Radical Islam, now spread across our isles and every nation in the western hemisphere, will only become more appealing and more potent when the bombing starts. Here is what one British Muslim primary school teacher - a woman - tells me: “You know if I was a young Muslim guy, I could get that angry that I would turn away from democracy and all that. This Prime Minister takes no refugees, and is still a friend of Arab dictators. Now bombs. Why? Do they even know? They are encouraging radicalisation. Their de-radicalisation programmes, which I am supposed to push, will fall apart. The UK will get more Isis recruits. I am so worried.” I also fear that some of the most effective programmes which were tackling extremist ideologies will lose all credibility.

lapinrose likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have spoke to those amongst my circle of friends and most, like me, believe that IF the bombing could be guaranteed to only kill ISIS members then they would have no problem with it.
    As they point out though, and yet again I agree, in spite of the rhetoric and assurances from govt leaders such accuracy is simply not possible.

3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Has bombing of towns ever succeeded in avoiding civilian casualties?

4. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

It's accurate. That's what Brimstones are for.
    upload_2015-11-30_10-6-27.jpeg

5. Didactylos4

No
    And for all the claims about the accuracy of the Brimstones and the like, whilst they can indeed hit a specific target they don't decide whether the target is the right one
    Humans do that

kent1 likes this.
  6. VanEyssen

So not a matter of accuracy. Target choice is the issue.
    An RAF action in Syria will not be area bombing as people like to portray it.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A Brimstone missile can accurately hit a moving target at 70mph from a height of 20,000ft.

It can also accurately hit a wedding party as a result of poor intelligence.

A Brimstone missile is a tool. That is all.

8. Didactylos4

Target choice is always part of the accuracy

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We've been dropping brimstones on Iraq for over a year

I'm surprised it isn't already over.

Noja likes this.
  10. VanEyssen

When was one targeted at a wedding party?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That whoosh sound... that was the point shooting by at 20,000ft...

12. VanEyssen

What would be the outcome of not using them?

13. VanEyssen

Your point was hand-wringing hypothetical

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oddly enough didn't say it 'had'...

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We're discussing the hypothetical bombing of Syria... well done you!

16. VanEyssen

Carpet bombing the country is not the proposal. The targets are more precise.
    Are there better methods to deter genocide? A strongly-worded letter?

17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Super. We'll just ask all the militants if they wouldn't mind driving humvees along deserted dirt roads while we target them.

Noja and Didactylos4 like this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Nor I heard a single British Muslim or Arab voice suggest an alternative solution to prevent ISIS wreaking havoc, both in the ME and around the world.

Come to that, I haven't heard of an alternative solution being proposed by non-Muslims.

Is there one? If there is, let's hear it quickly, before the bombing starts.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Weird, I don't remember saying it was. If your going to make stuff up, why not just start a thread and argue with yourself. It'd save you doing that difficult 'reading' stuff.