1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not much left to live for

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tulving, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

If and when you are ready to return, you will feel stronger, and able to face her secure in the knowledge that you are the better person. It will take time for you to acknowledge this, because at the moment you probably feel worthless and as if you are to blame for being weak - this is normal for people with depression.

Counselling and/or CBT would help you to feel better about yourself - ask your GP to put your name down now, as there is usually a waiting list. Alternatively, most schools have sickness protection insurance, and there is often a counselling/CBT service offered to staff in conjunction with this - if you don't feel able to ring the school yourself to ask about it, see if your friend or a sympathetic staff member would ask for you.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel - right now you can't see it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I feel so sad at what I have just read - angry too. As a long standing head teacher I would never put anyone through this - head's have a moral duty (in my opinion) to look after everyone in their school - staff as well as children.
    There are regulations which academies have to follow and you have done the right thing by going to the docs. Don't let your school bully you (easy for me say I know) but continue to ask for help and support on here. x

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You don't have to see them again if you don't want to. I didn't, neither did I receive any messages of concern or support from school. I had already resigned before I went sick so I just never went back.

grumpydogwoman and xandrahuk like this.
  4. tulving

tulving New commenter

Thank you so much everyone, I still cannot believe how nice people are on here. Thanks Theo for the links I guess I feel guilty for being off and I know she will be saying bad things about be being selfish as she has made clear about how she feels about people who are stressed. I have to be careful what I say but someone has contacted me and said this is not the first time this has happened to someone in the department. Actually I am the 7th person to suffer under her which makes me feel that it can't be all me and that I am not a waste of oxygen xx

5. tulving

tulving New commenter

Resigning isn't an option as its my only source of income I'm afraid.

6. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

If you are the 7th person to suffer under her that tells you with certainty that it is NOT you who is the problem. Take some reassurance from this and deal with your health before anything else.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. Luke66

Luke66 New commenter

With all due respect, this isn't (for me anyway) a reason to stay employed at the same school given your post.

InkyP and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

It may help to open your mind to the possibility of not staying, then you will not feel trapped. It may be best in the end to CHOOSE to stay but you COULD leave, perhaps get a long term supply, temp in an office, go and teach abroad, run away to Fiji and hire out deck chairs... You are ultimately free and don't necessarily ever have to see her again, only you feel you can deal with her and it feels like the best option.
    In the mean time try not to let her into your thoughts, if you do you are not really away from her. Much, much easier said than done but so important. The work of Byron Katie really helped me make peace with my thoughts, loads of her stuff on You Tube x

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I fully back the suggestion that you ring the Teacher Support Network, not least because they have funds to help 'distressed teachers' and you may well need access to that if your GP signs you off work.
    It comes as a shock to many teachers who have built up paid sick leave entitlement in LA school, that they have NO entitlement for the first year as an Academy teacher unless they transferred over under TUPE when their existing school became an Academy. Otherwise they are only entitled to the State's statutory sick pay (and Housing Benefit + Council Tax relief if renting and with low or zero savings).
    I buy raffle tickets off the teacher Support Network every year precisely to help them raise money to help teachers facing difficulties.

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It still amazes me the many teachers are ignorant ofall of the recent changes until they have a problem.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  11. tulving

tulving New commenter

Now I am panicking even more are you saying that I am not entitled to sick pay under an academy? Please forgive my ignorance

12. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

I'm glad you are feeling a little better tulving. Look after number 1. Marshall - what a shame that not all teachers have a supportive head like you

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It always amazes me on the News, in the newspapers and on programmes such as Question Time, that nobody mentions the downgrading of teachers' pay and conditions when Academy status is being discussed.
    When all schools become Academies, I predict that the trend will be for far more teachers to leave the profession. Working hours in term time will increase, Saturday morning meetings/INSET will become the norm (I know TUPE teachers who feel unable to decline invitations to attend when they have every right to), steady pay progression for experience is already a thing of the past and Union support will be frowned on or simply unworkable when they have no national structures to enforce.
    That, ultimately, is why the Government is promoting a qualification free entry to teaching. They will get a steady supply of graduates and non-graduates who give it a go, on the cheap, when they can't think of what else to do and who then leave in the first year or so. For some pupils it will be akin to being always taught by unqualifed supply/ cover supervisors, with no class teacher supervising as happens when pupils have a student teacher for the length of a teaching practice.

14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

If you feel like that about her @tulving and her track record is as you have described then you will almost certainly have to look for a job elsewhere. Sorry to spook you but, unless she leaves the school, you should probably consider other options within teaching. A new school.

15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

No, that's not what the post said. It was about transfer of sick pay rights if your LA school had recently converted. If you have worked there for more than a year, you will have sick pay entitlement. It's worth checking your contract to put your mind at rest.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was unclear if the OP had moved to the Academy in January 2015 or 2016. If the latter, she will almost certainly have no accrued Occupational sick pay rights.
    Read your contract!

Someone posted on here a few years ago after moving to a promotion post in an Academy after about 24 years teaching in LA schools. She started in the September and fell ill in the Ocober, being diagnsed with cancer and going on sick leave. Her October pay was short and nothing appeared in her account in the November, which was when she discovered that you only gained the minimum occupational Sick Pay entitlement after serving 12 months in post.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It may be thta the OP, in consultation with her GP, will have to consider staying at work with the help of medication to lessen her stress levels.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What happens if my school becomes an academy?

If a school becomes an academy the employees who work there are protected by the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006, more commonly known as the ‘TUPE regs’. Under the TUPE regs, most of your existing terms and conditions, including the entitlement to sick pay and leave, transfer over to the academy.

http://www.atl.org.uk/app-faq-15-01

As set out in the Burgundy Book, teachers’ national sick pay entitlements are based on a sliding scale according to their length of service, as follows. During the first year of service: Full pay for 25 working days and, after completing four calendar months’ service, half pay for 50 working days. During the second year of service: Full pay for 50 working days and half pay for 50 working days. During the third year of service: Full pay for 75 working days and half pay for 75 working days. During the fourth and subsequent years: Full pay for 100 working days and half pay for 100 working days

But check.

19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Even if you have to attend an absence meeting, you only go if you are well enough. Also that meeting is likely to be with the head not your HOD. Your union will be able to go with you.

20. tulving

tulving New commenter

I started last August if that helps. The school was already an academy when I joined