1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not much left to live for

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tulving, Mar 15, 2016.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think sleep is a natural reaction. I wasn't on meds but I slept late (most unlike me normally) and the days flew by although I wasn't doing much. Your body obviously needs it.

I'm glad you have a friend who is taking care of you.

sally90 likes this.
  2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @tulving,

You are definitely taking a positive step to feeling better.

This is a good approach to your recovery, and I'm glad that you have felt supported by the forum members here. We are all thinking of you and care about your health and wellbeing.

I'm glad that you reached out to an old friend. Their support along with the support from kind members on the forums here will help you regain some equilibrium.

When you are ready, maybe you can ask your GP for some counselling as well.

In the meantime, keep in touch, please let us know how you are getting on, get as much rest as you can and enjoy spending time with your friend and taking things easy.

3. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

How r u? I hope you are feeling a little better. I really feel for you as I went through something similar. It is hard to understand why some people can be so mean and nasty. At least the community of 'tes' care about you and that counts for a lot. I really hope you start feeling better soon. Warm hugs are being sent to brighten your day.

wanet likes this.
  4. missied

missied New commenter

I'm so pleased you've taken the first step...it's always going to be the hardest. When I was first signed off with depression and started taking medication it took a while for it to really kick in so be prepared to not feel great immediately. My doctors had a therapist that I saw very early on - CBT/mindfulness which also helped. I was also advised to exercise so try getting yourself outside even if it's just a quick walk each day.
    Your local library should have a list of local groups that might be of interest to you - see if anything appeals to you & try to go along - it helps you to realise there is more than teaching out there

5. TRUUST

TRUUST New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2016
  6. tulving

tulving New commenter

Hi everyone was ill yesterday because of strange reaction to meds. Thanks for the continuing support its a great comfort. I really don't want to go back though not sure where this leaves me but its an awful place with a horrid person as manager. Not sure what else to do though xx

Jesmond12 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't worry about What next? just at the moment. Your main What next is to get yourself well and 'thinking straight'. That will be the time to start considering the bigger options.

8. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

What can I say that hasn't been said by others?
    Don't think about work. You need to get better first - however long that may take. That needs to be your one and only goal at the moment. Keep posting.

Thinking of you. :)

9. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

One day at a time you said and you were right. Focus on today, nothing more x

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

tulving, now is not the time to make any sort of decisions. You are ill. Allow your mind and body to heal, then think about decisions.
    Hugs.

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

It takes time to mend a bruised noggin. Sleep lots, exercise gently, eat chocolate and be as kind to yourself as you would be to a friend going through a hard time.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's exactly it. Be your very own best, loving friend. Give yourself the advice you would give your mother/daughter/sister.

sabrinakat, GTPGIRL35 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Well done tulving. Keep posting. Hope you are feeling a little better xxx

14. dljames2013

dljames2013 New commenter

Like previous posters have already said - you need focus on getting well again, that place (work) took you the brink. Now you need to get well, sleep well, eat well. There is NO rush. One day at a time. Make sure you keep posting - we are all thinking of you x

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Riverhorse

Riverhorse New commenter

Hang in there Tulving - I haven't posted here so far but have been following and keeping you in my thoughts. When I was on a course of antidepressants a few years ago, I found the first few weeks to be just awful - no one seems to tell you that they can cause severe nausea and/or dizziness in the first week or so while you get used to them. The side effects WILL subside and very soon you'll feel them starting to really make a difference. Take care.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Don't worry about work. You are too ill to make decisions. Remember you have potentially 6m full pay and 6m half pay on sick leave. Assuming your GP is sympathetic and understands how ill you are, they will not be signing you as fit for work for quite a while, so try and put work out of your head. The side effects will subside, it took me to week 4 before I felt 'normal.' x

17. tulving

tulving New commenter

Thanks everyone I know you are all right but its making me feel worse knowing that now I am off sick I am going to have to face her again. I had bad nightmares last night I don't want to see that cruel face again as I know she might set off those bad thoughts again.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just re-read what @marymoocow wrote.

You have potentially (depending on how long you have been teaching) oodles of time to get better before needing to see anybody at school.

And so no need to get too worried.

Best wishes

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You don't have to see her again. You won't be seeing her at all until you are fit to return. IF you are fit to return. IF.

But you must NOT see her until you are ready to go back to work. All contact must be via email. Preferably to the office/HR. When you see the doctor you will inform them of your sick-note status. That is all. You reply to no correspondence than this. Nothing about lessons plans or where you left such and such. Nothing about having an informal chat. Sick-notes.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter