1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not much left to live for

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tulving, Mar 15, 2016.

1. vickysimpson1989

vickysimpson1989 New commenter

Try to remember that teaching isnt the only thing you can do. If you hate it then do something less stressful. Life is so much more important.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I was in your position re work I phoned the surgery for an appointment. They couldn't give me one straight away but the GP rang back and talked to me on the phone which helped a bit. He gave me an appointment a few days later so I could get a sick note. I went to him several times and cried through each appointment - he was great and just listened and reassured me that he had heard similar stories before from teachers. I was lucky enough to be close to 60 and he kept signing me off until I could retire anyway (I had already handed in my resignation letter before I went off sick). He said he could have given me one long sick note but he wanted to keep seeing me to make sure I wasn't going to harm myself. Believe me, you are not alone in this.

I also phoned my Union and spoke to someone on the phone. She couldn't do much to help, to be honest, but talking it through and knowing my options helped a bit.

While I was recovering from all this I had some good friends who dragged me out with them when all I really wanted to do was stay indoors and never go out again. I hope you have someone around who can do this for you too.

if you can bear it, maybe when you are feeling a little stronger, read through some of the threads on Workplace Dilemmas and you will realise that it is not just you.

Good luck.

3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

You have my heartfelt sympathy and support. Please let us know how you get on at the doctor's. I found my GP to be very sympathetic and helpful. I hope yours helps you.

4. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I was in a similar position just over ten years ago. You MUST take time away from work for as long as you need, and when/if you feel ready to go back, why not try looking abroad to teach? - a new start; better conditions generally, working alongside like-minded teachers who wanted to get out of the UK. I've been abroad for 10 years now and, while not perfect, work and life in general are MUCH better - less stupid, meaningless exercises and more focus on teaching! But first you've got to get yourself right. Don't even think about ANYTHING to do with work. As everyone else says, things WILL get better, it just takes time x

5. smilesgomiles

smilesgomiles New commenter

I hope it goes well today at the GPs. Just wanted to say that there are some friendly schools out there. I have been job hunting and have found a few. When you are feeling better look at job ads in your area, focus on the ones that sound like they care about their staff, and go and look round. Take care of yourself and get some rest. x

6. tulving

tulving New commenter

Hi everyone an update - I went to the dr and he has signed me off for a month. Also given me antidepressants which I know I need to take. You guys saved me last night and for once I didn't feel that nobody cared. Hugs xxx

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Glad to see that your posting has had such positive results. The problem will not be sorted quickly, so stay strong.

sabrinakat and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We're a regular barrel of laughs on here @tulving ;)

Honestly though. We do try because a lot of us have been there (in terms of workplace harassment and relationship breakdown) and felt like turning our head to the wall. Or we know people who have felt as you feel.

So you're not alone. Day or night.

Take the tablets. Today is the start of doing something constructive for you. Good on ya.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That;'s good. And every day is a step forward out of last night's abyss. Stay strong - keep posting.

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Keep posting on here, Tulving. Keep us updated or we will worry. xx

Lara mfl 05 and thenorris like this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Good.
    I hope you feel better soon. Don't worry if the anti-depressants don't have an instant effect. Some types can a take a while to kick in and make a difference.
    Do come back and chat here anytime.

12. dljames2013

dljames2013 New commenter

So glad you made it to GP - now put your work place right out of your head - getting your self together again is your priority. We are all relieved you are ok - and it will get better for you.
    x

13. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @tulving,

Thank you for letting us know that you are getting the help you need.

Every member of this community is a valued one, and you are too. As @grumpydogwoman said you are not alone.

There's not really anything else that I can add that hasn't already been said before by all of the members that responded to your post, but I hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Take one day at a time, this is the first step to making some positive changes and putting yourself first.

Thank you to all the members who helped @tulving.

silkywave, CWadd, xandrahuk and 4 others like this.
  14. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Just got home from work and you are the first person I thought of. So glad you went to the doctors and they have signed you off. Really pleased for you as this is now the time and space you need to start recovering. Keep posting if you need to chat, we are all here for you. Good on you x

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Good I'm pleased you were able to see Dr's and start getting help. Literally take it one day at a time, do not think about work (hard I know but essential to your health). As others have said rest and take care. Do not feel you can't go out, it's important to still do the little things, go to the shop, a walk, meet up with whatever friends you have for a coffee. Do take the meds but as @Flere-Imsaho said that take time to work and you may need to try a few before it works for you properly. Xx

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Glad to hear you went to the drs. Try and get outside everyday for a walk, even if it is only into the garden, you will feel so much better. x

Mrsmumbles and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Hello @tulving

I've been thinking about you all day. Thanks for updating us and well done you for getting to the doctors today. Now you can start (gently) getting better. Take good care of yourself.

XX

Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  18. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

19. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hello tulving
    Sending a hug. So glad to hear you went to the doctor. Take it one day at a time and follow all the medical advice. Don't lose faith - there really are some good schools out there, hopefully you will find one when you are fully recovered.
    Keep us posted xx

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Good luck with the next bit @tulving. Spring is a good time for planting seeds - take some time during the next month to think about your options for the future, and be sure to discard any that don't involve breathing.

Welcome to the family of those who somehow find a way through it - sounds like you're in excellent company :)

ValentinoRossi and Lara mfl 05 like this.