1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not much left to live for

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tulving, Mar 15, 2016.

1. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

So glad you came back on. Have a good night's rest and phone your GP straight away in the morning. Please come back on here ASAP tomorrow so we all know you are ok. Goodnight and rest well. Tomorrow is a new day. We are all here for you. Lots of hugs x

TRUUST likes this.
  2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You are never alone here!

Glad to see you back. Please sleep well - read a good book, or an old favourite - and take advice tomorrow.

Let us all know how you get on. x

3. libby77

libby77 Occasional commenter

4. Katie777

Katie777 New commenter

When you get yourself signed off (not a sackable offence), do you have family or a friend anywhere you could go and stay with? You need a bit of human kindness. Nothing matters but finding peace for yourself, forget work for now. You would survive if you left/lost your job, don't let it destroy you. Change your life, don't give it up x

saffronv3 and frangipani123 like this.
  5. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

You poor, poor thing. I'm so glad you're going to the doctors tomorrow.

Please don't worry about being signed off. I am signed off at the moment and feel so much better than I did 2 months ago. I resigned with no job to go to and have secured 2 jobs in the last week (full time and tutoring) and I smile. All the time. You are a teacher and you can basically talk yourself into any job. Both interviews were warm and friendly and nothing like a teaching interview.

Put yourself first and take some time to heal.

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Nothing to add to the kind thoughts above, except....you are normal to feel sad about the loss of an important relationship and a difficult work situation. Please see your GP in the morning and be kind to yourself. Don't let the b*a*s*t*a*r*d*s get you down -- you know that you deserve better! The posters here are very kind and very supportive ...

biggest virtual hugs

ps. I have met some of them in real life and they are very nice, honest!

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hope you are comforted by the thought of so many friendly voices and friendly ears on here.

If you find it hard to ring and speak to the Teacher Support people, you can also text and chatline to them.

Helpline
    Whatever you need, we’re here for you 24/7. Our confidential counselling can help with any issues, personal or professional, to get you back on track.

They are available 24/7. If you wake up in the night and feel you'd like a sympathetic ear, ring them, text them, chat.

Then tomorrow you go to see your GP. They may say that they have no appointments, so you have to say that it is an emergency.

Don't worry about the Academy sacking you for being off sick for a bit. It won't happen!

Just remember that you have all these friendly people on here thinking about you and wishing you well.

joannagb likes this.
  8. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

I know you're resting now but if you wake up in the night & still feel alone talk to the samaritans, my husband did last month and they really helped him. He was able to get through the night then see the Dr's next day.

The Dr's will sign you off then you can rest and go from there. I don't understand how you think you'll get sacked if you go off sick? Surely that would be unfair dismissal? But you don't need to worry about any of that.

Go to Dr's and get help :)

9. mapledrop

mapledrop New commenter

I have been where you are now. The best thing I did was to see a GP. I told him everything. I was in tears. He said I need to be taken out of the work environment. The same needs to happen to you. If you carry on things will get worse and the most important thing is your health and wellbeing.

Do not worry about being signed off. You need time to get back to your normal self. Try to forget work and concentrate on yourself. It takes time but you'll feel better.

I am 3 months along now since my lowest point. I'm still signed off and feeling much better but still not ready to return. Please give yourself plenty of time to recover....

You are not alone. So many have/are going through this awful experience. Please post on here to let us know how you are doing

Big hugs xxx

ValentinoRossi and Scintillant like this.
  10. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Just sending a big hug to you.

You will come through this - hold on to that thought.

Doctors, rest, talk.

XX

11. zannar

zannar New commenter

I can't pretend to know what you are feeling but I do know people who can relate to your situation. I hope you will take comfort from the words of kindness written by others and take care of yourself. Take an hour, then a day then a week at a time. small steps. xxxx

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Don't phone the surgery, simply turn up and inform the receptionist you need to see a doctor as soon as possible, and that you're prepared to sit and wait.

13. carl2015

carl2015 New commenter

Just wanted to echo the wise words of others, There is light I promise, If you have been tough enough to teach in these abysmal times; you are tough enough to recover. Please phone the teacher helpline and visit the doctor as these are your first steps to recovery.
    May I add that a few weeks ago, I felt very similar feelings. As others have said, it is important to keep in touch and share your feelings; you will find a wealth of support and guidance on this forum.
    Carl x

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is a really good piece of advice. receptionists often seem determined to put you off seeing a Dr. but if they realise it's an emergency will accomodate you.
    Wishing you well.

frangipani123 likes this.
  15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I did what Rosie said and was taken to a quiet area and looked after by the lovely reception staff until I could be seen by the emergency on call gp not long afterwards. I spent over an hour with her. Those first words are hard and I didn't know where to start, but careful questioning by the gp brought it all out. I was seen by the dr weekly for a longer than normal session for the first month or so, then 2 weekly as I improved...and you will get better. Take care. x

sabrinakat likes this.
  16. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I hope you do go to the GPs tomorrow and wait for an emergency appointment, but remember you can self-certify for a week anyway.

As others have said you can email or phone the Samaritans and tell them that you find it difficult to talk about, they are trained to talk to people who feel distraught.

A relationship breakdown is really heartbreaking, and combined with bullying at work it can feel unbearable. But because these things are happening to you, you are not able to think clearly, you are using black and white thinking and can see no way out. So many people here have been through similar situations and come out the other side. I once felt the same after the end of a relationship and lay on my bed having similar thoughts to you. You are a capable and lovable person, even if you think you aren't. Please be kind to yourself.

'This too shall pass.'

17. rooney1

rooney1 Occasional commenter

Just echoing what everyone else has said. Look after yourself. Things will get better. Hugs.

18. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Couldn't read and not post. We're all here for you. I can't give any better advice than what's been given but wanted to say that you are in my thoughts. I don't know you but I know what you're going through. Things will get better. Let us know what happens at the doctors xx

19. ada_nuff

ada_nuff New commenter

Dear girl, we are all here to listen and to just here for you. I'm on the other side of the world, so it's mid-afternoon for me - if you are awake and want to chat, drop me a note. I've been where you - exactly - and know how truly awful it is. It was only the lovely people who were prepared to listen than got me through. Keep strong - it DOES get better! xxx

pepper5 likes this.
  20. dljames2013

dljames2013 New commenter

Like the rest of the posters on this thread I really hope you slept well - it is difficult enough to function in life if you are over tired let alone under such severe stress- as you have been. As many have said before, the GP appointment is your priority, or at the very least time away from that dreadful work place. You are in dire need of rest & peace so make sure you try to get it. If you can just let us all know how you are doing. Like the previous poster I am overseas - it is morning for me but if you are awake and need to talk we are all here.

Take care - sending BIG hugs xxx