1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not much left to live for

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tulving, Mar 15, 2016.

1. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

Please try to get some help. No job should do this to you. I was in a similar situation a few years back: I had just suffered a miscarriage (I genuinely think brought on by stress), and had been through four years of being bullied at work, and had reached a point where I just felt useless and out of control. I decided it just wasn't worth it, handed in my notice and got a job abroad. Best thing I ever did- I came back a happier and more confident person.
    Please think about all the alternatives out there. Although it may not seem like it now, the world is a pretty awesome place and there are great opportunities out there.

xandrahuk and frangipani123 like this.
  2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Relieved that you are going to your GPs tomorrow. Try to get some rest and believe that there are better times ahead.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Read out what you wrote in your first post. Ring them back or ring the Samaritans.

Don't do it. Get professional help now.

aspensquiver_2 and frangipani123 like this.
  4. sunshineonarainyday

sunshineonarainyday Occasional commenter

I'm afraid I don't have any advice beyond that already offered, but I couldn't read this and run. Please make sure you look after yourself, your health and wellbeing are more important than any job. Sending you my very best wishes.

5. libby77

libby77 Occasional commenter

Get some rest :) watching silly TV always helps me! You can self certificate for a couple of days anyway so no pressure for a couple of days. Just give yourself time to seek advice from unions, ACAS (they are a free service for employment matters and give great advice), teachers support network etc. Let us know how you are :)

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Echoing @Flere-Imsaho in everything they said.

But you're not on your own. People on here listen - keep talking, don't suffer in silence.

We listen.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  7. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Hi tulving,

I know how hard it can be to actually speak about things like this. If you can, go to www.reddit.com/r/suicidewatch (google reddit suicidewatch if the link doesn't work). It's an online forum that is manned by support volunteers from around the world. There is generally someone online 24 hours a day.

It's always easier to type about these things I've found. They'll listen, help and support the same way as we would here as this site is mainly populated by people living in Britain there is no guarantee of 24 hour support.

I'll echo what several others have said. Don't go into work, get signed off. Worry about work after you've sorted yourself out.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I sat here for a while thinking what to write. Those feelings are never nice I know that, you see just despair. Your making a list meaning there are reasons not to, hold onto them, I would recommend you phone the Samaritans they can listen they can help trust me. Please take time and think I know the world may seem black right now when you feel like you do those bits of light are hard to see. If you want someone to talk to I will happily give you my phone number.

frangipani123 and libby77 like this.
  9. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

You're right, it can be difficult to say things out loud. Samaritans also have an email or SMS service which you might prefer to try. The email address is jo@samaritans.org and the text number is 07725 90 90 90.

frangipani123 likes this.
  10. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

To everyone who has posted on this thread. Not sure what we can do but does anyone know of a way to help this person NOW?
    She hasn't posted for a while and I am so concerned about her.
    Any thoughts?

11. libby77

libby77 Occasional commenter

I feel the same :-(

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Try to take one step at a time and one day at a time. First step is to get in touch with your GP since they will be able to advise you on how to get better. Once you get your strength back then you can look for other jobs. You may need counselling to help you come to terms with your relationship breakdown.

Call the Samaritans if you need to, They are trained to help.

Until you find another post don't let your HoD destroy your peace. You know what he is saying is untrue and what he is doing is wrong. Things will get better. You will find another post and get well. Your life is important.

ValentinoRossi and CWadd like this.
  13. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Just listening if they have gone to sleep there is nothing we can do. They need to talk to us. Without a name or contact detail there is nothing we can do.

14. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

I know. Just wanted to see if anything else we could possibly do. Will keep watching the thread. Glad you offered your phone number for her to talk to you.
    Hope she is ok x

15. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Just to echo the thoughts of others- I hope, OP, you are ok. x

Please come back to us.

ValentinoRossi and pepper5 like this.
  16. tulving

tulving New commenter

Sorry everyone I just had a a drink and splashed cold water. I promise I am getting into bed now and I won hurt myself. I'm just so tired, I will see the drs in the morning and tell you what he says. Again thank you for your kindness you have helped me a lot tonight and i dont feel so alone now

frangipani123 likes this.
  17. Rory

Rory New commenter

Echo all the advice on here.. Please let us know you are OK. We hear you ... This will pass. You are a teacher; you will always be employed; just need to find a different school who will value you. Big hug. Please get back to us xx

TRUUST likes this.
  18. tulving

tulving New commenter

goodnight everyone x

19. Rory

Rory New commenter

Glad you're ok x

20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Do come back tomorrow and let us know how it went. Be sure to tell the doctor it is an emergency and you need an appointment straight away.