1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NOT MS/Windows based textbook

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ict04, Jun 27, 2015.

1. ict04

ict04 New commenter

I've done some searching but come up empty handed.

Anyone know of (or better still 'use') any textbook which is NOT MS/Windows based? So many textbooks seem to only cater to teaching kids the MS Office suite and Windows-based OS.

I know there must be SOME schools out there who have gone down the open-source/Linux/Ubuntu route - if you know of them and could put me in touch that would be great!

I'm in a Ubuntu-based environment and short of creating the materials myself (which is a big task from Year 1 upwards!) I was hoping there was at least one other option.

Cheers.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Do you mean ICT textbooks? Although I am primarily a Windows user (who occasionally dabbles with Ubuntu), it does annoy me that even the exams, with their Windows terminology and screenshots, are clearly focussed on Microsoft products.

There is obviously less support for products like LibreOffice. Last year I recorded videos for YouTube to remind our students how to record a macro and add a button to a spreadsheet. To date, the Excel version has had 212 views and the LibreOffice version 14,474.

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Have you looked at OOo4Kids.(open office for kids) .?

The cut down menus etc may mean you could just get away with some "help/cheat sheets"

4. ict04

ict04 New commenter

Yes indeed... looking at ICT / computer science textbook options... since I posted my question earlier on and a few hours searching, I did manage to come across this offering from India (IIT Bombay) of 'Computer Masti' (I am in an Indian school which makes this more 'relevant' for my kids):

<a target="_new">www.it.iitb.ac.in/.../ssrvm[/URL]

http://computermasti.in/

Now I'm trying to find out how to get my hands on a single set 'hard copy' (with CD) for evaluation. The computer masti website has a 'shop' - not sure how much I trust their online shop though...