1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not looking good for saving ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gigaswitch1, Nov 17, 2015.

1. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

Only 6000 people have signed the parliament petition in 2weeks. Considering how many ICT teachers, wives of teachers and families of teachers, that is pretty ****.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I believe that's more than one per secondary school, which is more than I'd have expected.

3. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

I think a lot of the campaigners have assumed that every teacher shares their opinion, which is not true. I know ICT teachers who welcome the removal of it as a GCSE subject. It doesn't mean they can't teach it - they can and they will, but it will be a BTEC style qualification.

spam66 likes this.
  4. sirspamalotless

sirspamalotless Occasional commenter

Yes, the minuscule support is a clear indication that the vast majority of people are glad to see the back of this substandardGCSE 'qualification', which turned using computers, computer skills and computer science into a joke. I agree with others, that ICT is not finished, but it has to be taught using a vocational, skills-based approach and squarely aimed at low to medium ability students, who don't have the brains, work ethic or commitment to teach PowerPoint etc to themselves. The monotonous, tedious courses like CIDA would be ideal for this because it is contains very little for a two year course, goes over the same stuff again and again and most importantly, standards and quality are unimportant. For example, you can use Word to make your flyer, you can create a website layout without using proper templates or div tags and no one cares about using CSS or JavaScript. Very low ability. That's the key to success for ICT.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  5. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

I haven't really pushed for it because I know it won't get anywhere. I was at the ICT consultation meetings with the exam boards BCS, NAACE, CAS etc and we had a DFE representative at each one. There's bigger plans here than anything a few annoyed teachers will be able to stop. For the moment, in the current climate, at least.

6. jbourne8

jbourne8 New commenter

I agree in that a lot of the campaigners thought everyone else wanted ICT to be saved but the statistics say otherwise. No doubt there'll be an element where teachers want ICT saving because they are not keen/able to teach Computing.

7. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

What saddens me about this is ,that people don't realise "this is not up for debate". .

As tjra has hinted there are bigger, more scary things out there. Save your fight for them

BTW 6000 is a hell of a lot more interest than most of the OFQUAL computing/ICT consultations get.

spam66 likes this.
  8. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be cryptic. I just think that if the exam boards together with external bodies weren't able to get a decent specification through, then a few pitchfork wielding ICT teachers won't be able to get much further. Especially since it's been announced by the DFES - they won't just suddenly reverse their decision.

6000 is more than most of the Computing consultations but it's about who was stamping their feet a few years ago and caught the ear of Gove, not how many :(

9. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

I think you are right tira, it is not the numbers, it is who is saying it; and those people that have seen their sons/daughters complete the old OCR nationals, say no more. I hope they don't bring it back and if they do I want it vigorous and testing of the pupils. I still get the feeling that the people who are really fighting for it are those that want the status quo keeping and are not ready to teach a vigorous IT qualification.

10. ccroyle

ccroyle New commenter

Only 83 (as of 10.27am) more to go to get to 10,000.

11. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

But isn't the 'magic' 10,000 just to get a response? That response is likely to be 'we're scrapping it'.

12. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

This. 10,000 signatures doesn't mean that the government reverse their decisions. It means that some intern writes a few words explaining why it's being scrapped.

13. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I think you could probably make up your own e.g.
    The Government is committed to providing a broad balanced curriculum for all students. Recent consultations and analyses by OFQUAL have shown that in some subject spaces there are qualifications which are too similar in content . Consequently a number of these have been withdrawn. There are no current plans to revise these decisions.