1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not Looking Forward to School Camp

Discussion in 'School trips' started by Elith, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Hi guys, I have been told that I must attend and help supervise a year 10 camp. It is a three day event, in cabins, staying there two nights.
    Maybe I'm a grumpy old fart but this is going to kill me. We have been told in no uncertain terms that the students must be supervised at all times and be given no more than 30 minutes of "free time" per day. I work part time, and so for all this extra work, resposibility and lack of sleep I will still only be paid the equivalent of teaching 10 lessons.
    We will have to dispense medication, watch out for those with specific dietary requirements, and keep tabs on those with behavioral issues, organise evening entertainment......
    I think I have a great rapport with the students already, and can see no benefit in this exercise. There is no educational component of the trip whatsoever. It is an "Adventure Camp".
    Like I said, maybe I've become a grumpy old fart, I'm one of the oldest teachers on staff, and the've assigned me to an "adventure camp". They know that due to injuries I will not be able to "join in" in any of the activities.
    Yeah... I know...suck it up, It's only 60 hours...plus losing half the weekend catching up on sleep...

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Do you work in a state school? If so you cannot be told to go on a trip. I don't know about private schools, look at your contract if you work in one.

You do not have to dole out medication unless you want to and you should have been on a course!

Go to your doctor and get signed off if the HT won't take no for an answer!

I love trips but wouldn't want to be on one with someone who doesn't want to be there.