1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not knowing outcome of interview

Discussion in 'Independent' started by grantgust, Mar 25, 2017.

1. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

hi all,
    I've recently interviewed at an independent school. I was told I should hear from them the next day or so, however I never heard back. After a few days, I wrote a polite enquiry about the outcome, but no one ever got back at me. This was my first interview at an indipendent school. Is it normal for indipendent schools not to tell candidates the outcome of their interview? Or should they be required to?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No it isn't normal at all.
    Maybe there was a digit out on a phone number or some such?

It is usual to spell independent with an e, rather than i, though.

3. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Well they phoned to invite me to the interview and they have my email address as well... not sure what to think!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

I'd just think that I hadn't got the post and move on.
    There isn't much else you can do.

Sometimes feedback is just that your face didn't fit, which is of no earthly use anyway.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It is very rude not to contact you and not usual at all. Consider yourself very lucky - would you really want to work there if they have no concept of manners?

Teachallover, fa17 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I still haven't heard back from an interview I had at an independent school on Tuesday... same boat!

7. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Often they will phone the successful candidate and email or write to the unsuccessful ones. If they were quite clear that they would be making a decision in 'a day or so' and that has well and truly passed by then I think you can be fairly sure you have been unsuccessful. But as @sabrinakat says, what appalling manners! Schools are very short-sighted when they treat applicants/interviewees poorly. What do you now think of this school and what might you say if someone asked you about it? I imagine it wouldn't be very complimentary- and that negative view has been caused by the school's bad manners.
    The only redeeming possibility is that their or your email has got lost in cyberspace or a letter has gone astray in the post... But as @caterpillartobutterfly says, best now to move onward and upward. There must be a better place for you out there! Good luck!

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@skeptucator What did they say to you on the interview day about their timescale for making the appointment?

9. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

That they would let me know by the end of the week. I'm not overly worried as I don't particularly want the job, but thought it might be of some reassurance to the OP that it can take a few days for others as well.

Although, for all I know, the OP was at the same interview as me on Tuesday! o_O

grantgust and sabrinakat like this.
  10. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

my interview wasn't on a Tuesday though :) but they did tell me they would contact me the next day. It's true, it's time to move on... and maybe it s a dodged bullet if this is the way they treat potential employees.. I wasn't looking for a particular feedback, just the outcome.... it must be the new norm if it happened to someone else too

11. caterpillartobutterfly

That's a huge generalisation!
    We interviewed this week and contacted all candidates to let them know the outcome.

So two of you not contacted and four from us who were, so...

12. rs007

rs007 New commenter

I have experienced a similar situation where schools have not back to me on the outcome of an interview. I agree with previous commentators that this shows a lack of professional courtesy and gives a poor indication about that particular school.

Teachallover likes this.
  13. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Be aware if the school is offering the job to somebody who is relocating (common in the independent sector), then the successful candidate is given a few weeks to consider it. So whilst I don't think you were selected you may be contacted eventually.

14. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I think that's the exception rather than the rule. I've relocated for all of my jobs so far, and it was fairly obvious when applying that I'd have to do so. The one time I asked for 24 hours before replying firmly, I was given the impression this was very much the exception.

15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

assume you have not got it, apply for other posts and put it out of your mind. Never know you might get a letter later one way or the other. Might be worth checking your Spam box and that your mail has not gone astray.