1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not just unqualified teachers - now they're recruiting dogs!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by phlogiston, Dec 28, 2015.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35160619

A dog has become so successful in helping children to read, that she’ has become an honorary member of staff at a school in the West Midlands.

The idea of getting pupils to read to dogs in order to improve their literacy was first tried out in the UK five years ago, but Maggie, a 10-year-old Shih Tzu, has become so successful that she now has her own staff badge at Earls High school in Halesowen.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Cue ridiculous CPD.

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Should fit in really well then - compliant, does not answer back, if you say jump can jump really high. Maybe they could train it to put in data and everything.

emerald52 likes this.
  4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Time for a Shi tsu pun.

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Presumably being a member of staff now Maggie will have to undergo performance management. Poor *****. Rather Shih tzu.
    4511791.jpg

The starred word is for a female dog. I used the word in the correct context but it was presumably changed automatically....

6. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Maggie looks completely fed up of teaching already. Still, at least the poor thing should be good at jumping through hoops...

sabrinakat, les25paul and Yoda- like this.
  7. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

"Still, at least the poor thing should be good at jumping through hoops..."

ROFLOL!

Very good.

8. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

You just know when the mutt bites one of lovelies hand the shi tsu going to hit the fan.

les25paul and Yoda- like this.
  9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I cannot believe what Head Teacher thought this was a good idea.

I think that they are barking up the wrong tree.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

We can but hope that next time Ofsted visit, Maggie ***** her leg and welcomes the inspector by washing their shoes!.

Oh dear, it won't let me say c o c k s re: Maggie's leg!

11. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

Sitting here visiting parents in S c u n t horpe and nearly choked on my c o c k les and mussels; am saddened by the c o c k sure filtering done on these forums sometimes. Bring back humans. Right, rant over. I'm off bird watching, and to see if i can't bag me a pair of great t i t s.