1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not invited for interview yet(school direct salaried)?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by gnd0012, Aug 26, 2017.

1. gnd0012

gnd0012 New commenter

I had applied early in the August. Very late, I know. Passed both the skills tests. Out of my three choices, I got rejected by one saying "Unsuccessful - because this position is for researchers in schools only." Okay, I didn't do a good job of researching with that one.

Anyway the odd thing is, the other two choices didn't invite me for interview yet and the deadline is the 31st of August. If they are not even looking to interview me, why can't they just say "Unsuccessful" and be done with it? I would apply for other choices( preferably non-salaried school direct or pgce) and not waste my time waiting for them. Thoughts/comments/suggestions are all welcome.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The PGCE providers need a few weeks to process your application, and then it may take a few days to update UCAS with their decision. They may still be determining if they actually have spaces left on the course - lots of people can drop out before the course starts, as they realise they can't afford the course etc.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Once we offer a place, candidates have 40 days to make up their mind. Until they decide, they can hold 3 offers from three different providers, of which two will have a place spare once the candidate does finally decide. Hence although we have to keep interviewing and keep making offers until we have offered all our places, we have to wait until someone has rejected us until we can start interviewing and offering again.

Many thanks Michael Gove for this neo-liberal, labour-intensive, expensive to administer and not always helpful system.

4. gnd0012

gnd0012 New commenter

Thanks guys. That explains why they didn't reject me yet.

5. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

If you still want a place I would start ringing round providers and see if they can help you. A lot of places are offered through clearing following phone calls to institutions. Although it may be that other people have not given their definitive choice yet it might also be that your application has been lost. I notice you said that the places that had not responded were School Direct. They may not have as much experience of handling the application process as universities and colleges and may have made errors. Some courses start on the 4th September so there is some urgency here.

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It is very, very unlikely you will get a salaried schools direct job for this year now.

It's not like just jumping on a PGCE course - You need to apply to a school and be interviewed and appointed to a full time, paid position. This involvvs all the same procedures as if you had 20 years experience.

Salaried SDs jobs are heavily oversubscribed and positions often filled a year in advance.

7. gnd0012

gnd0012 New commenter

Thanks. It could be the reason because I didn't get a single confirmation other than the one I got from King's college because it is the training provider for the school.

8. gnd0012

gnd0012 New commenter

Would you say the same if I had applied for a shortage subject? I still see more than 15 positions left on the UCAS system. If they can't fill those positions this year, how are they going to manage the school?

9. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

It is way too late for school direct salaried. However, PGCE or non salaried school direct are still possible.

10. gnd0012

gnd0012 New commenter

Just updating this thread for completion. According to UCAS track, today was supposed to be the deadline for Apply 1. So at around 6:45 pm, I receive this response "Unsuccessful - no decision received". I'm going to start applying for Apply 2. Is that the response I'm going to get for school salaried at this point?

11. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Realistically most if not all of the salaried posts will be filled by this stage. The number of salaried places are anyway very restricted as schools look to make budget savings.There may be some non salaried or PGCE places still available depending upon your phase/subject/location.

12. differentiated

differentiated New commenter

Hello

Anyone got any tips on how much fortitude one needs to secure a School Direct place? I am in the early stages of applications and interviews and am already doubting myself. Has anyone found the experience bumpy, but secured some something in the end? I'd be interested to know.

I'm happy to keep trying until something seems impossible, but don't want to become the flogger of a dead horse. (which sounds like a good name for a rock band).

Any thoughts?