1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Not in front of the children

Discussion in 'Primary' started by salix, Aug 29, 2011.

1. What are your views on drinking cups of tea etc in class, on break duty etc?
    What about eating e.g. biscuits, cakes and so on in class/outside?

2. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

We all drink tea/coffee in class (not the children!) and my class has a tea monitor to make sure we drink our tea and they also take our cups back to the staffroom, but not to wash them. They love this responsibility - especially going into the staff room!
    Hot drinks are not allowed on the playground unless in a covered cup.
    We follow good health and safety whilst carrying cups around the school although I should say we are an 80 pupil, 3.5 teacher school so we are like a large family!

3. louiseelsiet

louiseelsiet New commenter

I often drink coffee in class and take a travel mug onto the playground. I don't see a problem with it personally!

4. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

We are not allowed hot drinks in the classroom or on the playground.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Used to drink coffee in class - usually after playground duty. Children knew this and common sense procedures were taken. Done supply and schools vary so much.
    As for cakes - well occasionally other classes made cakes and bought samples round for the teachers. A good way to wind the class up!!

6. I love it when that happens! Obviously, it's always the most delicious cake in the world and I make a huge fuss of enjoying it while the children watch!
    I also drink tea in class from a mug. I keep it on my desk out of harm's way. I used to drink tea on the playground but now we have to use the travel mugs with lids and they taste horrible so I wait until I come back in from duty and have it in class instead.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We have hot drinks in covered mugs on the playground and normal mugs in classes. It is more or less accepted that we would drink our tea/coffee at breaktime rather than lesson time. You wouldn't generally see teachers drinking tea/coffee while teaching.

Eating is generally in the staffroom. Not sure there is a rule about this, but it is certainly a convention. Occasionally someone will take one back to class during break/lunch but not often. Those on duty either go without or someone pops one in a napkin and puts it in their pigeon hole for lunchtime.

When children bring them round to staff, love it when that happens, some staff eat it then and there and some put it on their desk for later.

8. We're supposed to use those lidded cups all the time when children are on the premises.

9. purplepearlopal

purplepearlopal New commenter

We are supposed to use covered cups for break duties but otherwise mugs in staff room/classroom. I, frequently, work through my break times meaning I have to resort to acup of tea in the classroom as I'm usually gasping by then. However, as mentioned, it is rather difficult to teach and remember to drink said cup of tea therefore often finding it has gone stone cold by the time I've remembered I have one.

HOWEVER, I have recently discovered that there is a USB device you can plug into your laptop that is a little hot plate for keeping cups of tea hot!!!! Not too sure about the health and safety side to this but it is certainly appealing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eGadget-Desktop-Warmer-Built-Desktops-Notebooks/dp/B0029MSH02/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314629701&sr=8-2

10. I drink in class but the children are also allowed to drink at any time so I think it is fair.
    If I have a biscuit i normally share them out to the children.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This is true for water in our school.

12. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

We have to have our tea in travel cups with lids when around children, so we can drink it class but, as someone else said, it can taste plastic-y! I normally do guided reading after break, so I can take a cup of tea up to my classroom and listen to the children while drinking my tea. Saves rushing it through break and scalding my tongue!
    As for eating, no, I don't eat in front of the children. Although sometimes I want to, if I've spent my breaktime setting up for the next lesson and then realise I'm starving just as the lesson starts!

13. My HT arrived at a lesson obs with a cup of coffe so although there is no formal rule I think that said it all!

14. CB123

CB123 New commenter

We are not allowed hot drinks when the childrne are around, so not drinking tea or coffee in class or on break duty. I do have water in the class and drink that throughout the day, the children also have water on there desks and can drink when they want to.

15. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I used to feel a bit weird about it until one day someone actually just said but why feel bad? If you've got it in a closed cup where it can't spill, it's fine. The kids don't care and it's a privilege of being and adult! And plus, it's sooo annoying when you finally get to the staff room, get your cup of tea, and then the bell goes and you have to chuck most of it down the sink! Don't see any problem if it can't spill.